Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

prgrmmr

how old are game developers?

i began to code when i was 12....just for fun.
Now i''m early 20, i study about computer in university.

I always code some game but i found some other exiting programming domain like AI or compression data, cryptos...etc..

that''s my way...

ps: just a word to another "kid-coder" , dont learn too much about computer , because you will borring so much after...

+++
VietCoder

I''ve been programming since I was 12 and now I''m almost 16( just 2 more months till I turn 16 ). I guess it''s good getting started at an early age because it tells that you''re very interested and devoted to your programming work . I just can''t wait till I get a job at some game company.

hm.. i started when i had an atari st 520 (what a great machine back then *lol*). i was even stupid enough to buy magazines with code for simple games and typing thousands of lines just to have another game. when i tried to program on my own it ended with basic and terrible if-goto code that never did what it should.

then came a long break until i began to study cs and bought a book about opengl (and im ashamed to say it was my first contact with c/c++ and i picked up a mix of it along the way). after playing around with it i knew what i wanted to do later on. 4 years later im 25 and sitting here, still a student and watching all game developers in germany die or firing half their staff to stay alive.

so i seriously doubt to get a job as game programmer over here (lucky me, i wanted to move to the us sooner or later anyway).

I''m 19 years old (almost 20, in less than a month) and I''ve started programming about two-and-a-half years ago, when I started to study computer science in the Netherlands. The past year I have SERIOUSLY started to program, as my study focusses on EVERY aspect of computers, including hardware, server adminning and programming. Perhaps I should have chosen software engineering instead of computer science, but I''m happy with it.
I finished my first game this week (http://struct.m33p.net) after a LONG break from C++ and having started with OpenGL a few months ago. And I have decided that this is what I want to do in the future, also as a profession.

I don''t believe age is particulary important in game programming. It''s all about how you can get along with the gaming generation and how you can think the way of a gamer. You still have an audience to appeal, and you will have a hard time addressing a large audience with an old game with no new innovations.
Also programming experience is important, so I have been told, if you want to do game programming.

What I (put accent on "I", this my personal opinion) feel that is often forgotten when people talk about games is the psychological factor of a game. Everyone comes up with neat ideas and great features, but often forgets that a game is meant to be an escape door from reality and is meant to set a goal for the player.
Everyone splits a good game up in graphics and gameplay, while in reality it''s a combination of both, with the added factor of making the player think he''s achieving something and is winning the game. That''s exactly what makes retro games like Pong or Tetris so popular: They are simple, but when playing they can make the player believe that he will win and get a place in the highscores, this all without neat graphics, but with a good immersion factor and a simple, natural interface.

My apologies for the extensive last paragraph. I never meant to make it that long but it just all flew out of my head right onto the screen.

I am old enough to remember a U.S. flag that only had 43 stars.

I used to program assembly on a Commodore Vic-20.

I helped define the C99 standard, I helped deisgn the X12 EDI standard for the HIPAA protocol, and I worked with the W3C committee to standardize D/HTML.

I built an IC board from scratch to fit into a Tandy RS-232 expansion slot... for no good freakin reason... just so I could simulate voice from a hardwired analog sampler microchip that I bought from Radio Shack for $20.

I''m not only older than dirt... I''m older than the dirt under Linus Torvalds'' fingernails.

(grin)... Why do you ask?

Well I´m 19 and I´ve been programming since I was about 10 or 11.
Actually I´ve been interested in games and game development since I was about 6, but at that time I wasn´t serious enough to start programming
It´s kinda strange, I didn´t decide I wanted to be a game programmer until about three years ago. I live in Sweden so we don´t have to much options when it gets to game development education, but I´ve found one school not to far from where I live, unfortunatly they only accept 25 students every semester, but I´ll give it a shot. Well, back to the subject. Age has nothing to do with it if you just are focused on your goals and work hard to achieve them. Start out small and build your way up. When I started actual game programming my first goal was to make this awesome 3D shooter because I didn´t realize what kind of work that would demand. Those dreams were toned down some time ago and now I´m programming a Pong clone. It isn´t much but if I make it I´m ready for the next step.

Bad Monkey Productions

I''m an 18 year old freshman in college. I''ve been programming since I was 11. I started programming when I started making levels in the game "Hexen" and it mentioned that its scripting language was like C. My dad had an old C book (which is strange - he isnt a programmer and has no idea how he got the book) and I started toying around with it. It included a dos-based microsoft interpreter on 5 1/4 disks.

The only other `good programmers` (people that can think logically and understand me when I ask questions) I''ve met so far are my professors, and only 1 of 4 seems to REALLY know his stuff (the ''data structures'' teacher). Unfortunately for me, I''ve done all the stuff the programming classes at this college teach, but I have to take the classes anyways for the degree. Really sucks. I''d love to be able to take a class on compiler theory or something like that, but instead I''m stuck with calculus 3 and `learning` how linked lists and binary trees work. Last semester I had to take ''Advanced C++'' which was really ''Intro To C++: Semester 2'' [/rant]

I program for hobby right now, planning on moving into the professional world after I get my degree. I have a real hard time sticking to stuff though =-( I start one project and then get bored after hundreds of internet searches return almost nothing on it and none of the forums I know of mention more than the most basics of basics. My current ''project'' is to write a nice scripting language, similar to unrealscript, but most tutorials cover only the most basics and I don''t want the most basics. Also, none of the scripting language I have been able to find are to my liking.

Im 23, goin 24.. ah!

I also began around the age of 11 in basic. I did most of my work on the Amiga

I do it all mainly as a hobby, I have worked as a programmer in the past. Im currently unemployed as I have just returned from travelling and I hope to get a full time job in game development soon. Im just finishing up a game I have been making for quite a while (Hazard Ball)

I think age is important, but the years of experience is what really counts. There are some very talented kids out there

Im 15 and ive been Programming C++ for 1 and a half years and now im learning C#.Net with Direct x 9.0. Made 3 simple games and 2 engines, maze game in a console, pong using SDL and a 2d RPG in open gl. My first engine was made in SDL and my secound was a fully 3d engine in Open GL.
I think it doesnt matter what age you start programming at. And i work as a hobbyist coder

[Dev-Network]->[Alpha Region]

[edited by - DevCom on January 21, 2003 8:13:58 AM]

The company I worked for had age ranges from early 20s to mid-late 40s. The younger people were mostly artists, the older designers, with the programmers in between. Me, I''m 36, but I still feel and act like a 20-something.

I am 28 and do game programming for a living. I started out coding when I was about 11 I think. The hobby become and obsession, the obsession an education, and the education gave me a job.

Jacob Marner, M.Sc.
Console Programmer, Deadline Games

I''m 19, I''ll be 20 in a couple of months... I''ve been learning to program (I don''t think it''s a process that ever stops) since I was about 14 or 15 (well I started writting web pages when I was about 11 or 12).
I don''t really think age is at all important, I would probably have been much farther along in my studies if my High School (damn red necks) hadn''t dropped the AP Computer Sciecne Program... I did take some multimedia classes though... I''ve always loved computers and video games, so I figured I might as well put the two together. Now when I can spare time away from my job, I''m finding programming is somthing that I really enjoy. I also figured out recently I just need to get back into school and get a degree.

I'm 24 and I'm currently working as a Staff Consultant for a Boston area Technical Services firm. I did some programming when I was about 11, but it hasn't been constant. I had an old TRS 80 that I enjoyed keying in some BASIC that I found in a magazine. I didn't really start programming until I was 17. I have so much fun programming. Work isn't even like work for me. :D I program games because its a very challenging field. There are problems that exist here that just don't exist in the mainstream business application world.

-----------------------------
kevin@mayday-anime.com
http://www.mayday-anime.com

[edited by - grasshopa55 on January 21, 2003 10:27:24 AM]

before I asked this question, i thought that game developers are around 20 and more.
Now I''m ''happy'' because see that there are many ''younger'' programmers in the world.
I''m also 15 and I started programming.. uh I don''t remember. So when I was very young. My father is a C programmer, and sometimes I sat in front of his computer and watched his progs. Then, when i got MY first computer, a copied all of his work to my comp, and then started to look into the sources. Then I started to make my own progs with the simple ctrl+c and ctrl+v technology. then compiled, and watched what''s happen. Now I''m proging in Visual C++ and making my own Level of Detail algos. I''m currently thinking of what type of LOD to build into a terrain? But several years before I was thinking of how to draw a rectangle and what does pointers mean?

btw. thanks for the replies.

how old are you?

29 in less than a month. I started programming from the age of about 9 (C64, BBC then Amiga).

what do you think is age important in programming?

Not really. The longer you spend programming the more you learn and the easier it gets. Though you keep tackling new/interesting problems once the old problems are solved/easy.

do you develop games for money or only as a hobby?

Pofessionally, game programming for a living. Though I started programming games, demos, utilities, effects etc as my main hobby. And I still do when I have the spare time and energy after doing it at work all day.

I knew that I wanted to program games for a living when I was about 10 or 11 though. Formal education, self education, working in "normal" programming etc are some of the costs to get here.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

I don''t know how many times I''ve had to answer these questions!

I started around the age of 8, when my dad bought me Interplay''s Learn to Program Basic (Jr. High Edition). I fiddled around with it and got totally frustrated with it. Then I went into the web a little with HTML and then went back to programming. Then I got a C++ book, Learn to Program C++ in 24 hours. Got frustrated and bored with that. Then later, I picked it up again and then finished it, and got some other books. Then came to Gamedev and got into DirectX and company. I''m now 12 and going 13 in about 2 weeks. (And if you read in the lounge, I just got contacts, Yippee!) Like the one other member said, with a little bit of alteration, an Exploration->Led to a hobby->Led to an obsession->For future jobs. I''m hoping to get into programming professionally. I think I''ve found my job. I remember I was one of the kids who didn''t have a slight idea on what they wanted to be when they grew up but I know now. Just my life

I''ve been programming since I was 7 (just learning BASIC, nothing fancy), but I seriously started programming when I was 12. And I''m 14 now, finally graduated from measly DOS and QBasic, to C++, Windows, and DirectX.

I''m still working on figuring out that darn object oriented thingy