What C++ should i use to learn?

Started by
27 comments, last by Chia_Pet 19 years, 10 months ago
ok, im a complete newbie at programming. i want to learn C++, i currently have access to Visual C++.NET and Visual C++ 6.0 i just aquired the MS VIsual C++ .NET Deluxe learning Edition from Barnes and Noble. previously i had bought the 6.0 from the net and all i got were the CD''s (OEM) when i installed the 6.0 it kept hyaving problems for some reason installing on XP. so i went to one of my usual internet hangouts and asked what the differences were between 6.0 and .NET. after varied responces a few pointed out that i should learn C++ on UNIX as it would be more solid code( or something like that) so, my question is, if i want to learn C++ what Version (borland, MS visual,whatever) would garner me the best understanding of the language, and should i learn to program on UNIX or simply my Windows (XP in this case)?
Advertisement
i just started and i use vc++6 and some usefull links
http://oopweb.com/CPP/Documents/ThinkingInCpp1/VolumeFrames.html http://oopweb.com/CPP/Documents/ThinkCScpp/VolumeFrames.html
Yay im new!c++ = c2? yar newbus!!!
You should learn the ISO one.
Step 1:
Get Kazaa Lite (www.fasttrackhelp.com)

Step 2:
Never EVER buy anything made by Microsoft ever again (they won''t mind losing a few hundred bucks)

Step 3:
Get on Kazaa Lite and download any of about 4 books on C++. Also, there should have been a tutorial with MSVC++ 6.

Step 4:
Before you go out and make Mr. Gates any richer, look on Kazaa for a rip (this is assuming you do not get the software for a company). Do not worry about all the damn disclaimers and the flamers agains this. It is fine! Bill Gates already has too much money...

Step 4:
Check out gametutorials.com for the really basic stuff.
More lame anti-Microsoft propaganda..
zackriggle
Why wouldn´t you want to buy MS products? If you don´t like Bill Gates then don´t use his companies products at all. Better you learn using other IDE´s and how they work because you can´t use rips if you want to make commercial games. MS do alot of good products and should be payed for them. If you disagree then use a free compileer instead, what´s the use of ripping of MS?

Bad Monkey Productions
quote:Original post by zackriggle
Step 1:
Get Kazaa Lite (www.fasttrackhelp.com)

Step 2:
Never EVER buy anything made by Microsoft ever again (they won''t mind losing a few hundred bucks)

Step 3:
Get on Kazaa Lite and download any of about 4 books on C++. Also, there should have been a tutorial with MSVC++ 6.

Step 4:
Before you go out and make Mr. Gates any richer, look on Kazaa for a rip (this is assuming you do not get the software for a company). Do not worry about all the damn disclaimers and the flamers agains this. It is fine! Bill Gates already has too much money...

Step 4:
Check out gametutorials.com for the really basic stuff.

Your not just taking money from Bill Gates, you are also taking money from Microsoft employees who don''t have such big salaries.

500 errors:1
And so, the evil religion thread stole the wonderful "What the Heck?" thread's throne. Truly a sad day for gamedev.
and you kill chances for anti-m$-products to get a chance on the marked. you''re pro-m$, just too 1337 to say it. if you would be 1337, you would eighter support m$ really, or support linux and other ide''s, and that stuff.. or both, like i do. so i can get best of all..

and now don''t tell me i''m not 1337, because else i gonna tell you who''s your daddy!

i suggest you some visual c++ product from m$, it makes the start quite easy (espencially if you lived till now in the windows world..). you can get free compilers from then (or very cheap ones). they are just not that good in quality (speed of the final programs isn''t that good, as it doesn''t optimize well, etc.. but for learning, its good enough).

my first c++ was some c++ book including vc6.. all worked well, dunno what problems you had installing it.. never tried vc6 on xp, though.. using .NET now..

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

Stop this idiocy, plz!
But really, I wouldn''t use VC++. I used Dev-C++ (www.bloodshed.net) and it''s great.
Using Dev-C++ is like writing UNIX C++ because it uses a windows port of the unix compiler gcc. And yes, I think it''s more standard compliant than the MS one (no I''m not gonna write M$)

davepermen, dunno if you''re joking... if you''re not, know that nobody cares whether you''re 1337.

No, I''m not gonna post my opinion on pirating MS software. Please stop flaming!

"George W. Bush Geography Simplification Initiative"

More info on George W. Bush
My Homepage (C++ SDL OpenGL Game Programming)
---Just trying to be helpful.Sebastian Beschkehttp://randomz.heim.at/
Yeah, and if you pick on my boy again I''ll kick yer ass personally. Bitch.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement