Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

timmie

Any tips for increasing performance?

Hello. I''m working on a game engine (ZDoomGL, actually) and was wondering if you have any tips for increasing performance. Right now I am doing the following: - frustrum culling per subsector - per wall segment clipping - vertex arrays for the floors/ceilings (I''m not sure how effective my implementation is here, though) - pretty much everything is drawn as triangle fans (sprites, walls and floors/ceilings) Things I''m not doing yet: - sorting polygons by texture to avoid redundant texture binds - walls aren''t stored as vertex arrays yet But yeah, just looking for some pointers, since this is my first major project with OpenGL. I''ll upload the latest source when I get home if anybody wants to take a closer look at the actual implementation of things. Also, I''m wondering if anybody has some experience with using the clipping planes for rendering mirrors. Basically, I know that any given mirror is going to be 4 sided with the left and right sides perfectly vertical. Thanks!

quote:
Original post by timmie
- sorting polygons by texture to avoid redundant texture binds
Thanks!

thats often on todays hw quite important.. i would suggest that as next task to try out..

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com

Yeah,i have the speed problem too!

The thing is that i load 3DS(materials,face materials,etc.) terrain which is about 6000 polys.

With no culling on
AMD PALOMINO 1400
GEFORCE MX 4 64
512 RAM

the framerate is 70!!!And with nothing rendered it''s 1400.Can anyone tell me what to do to increse speed.Some of my ideas are to add face culling,display lists,break the model into peaces and check each peace for the frustum and etc.Please help!!!

P.S.
I''ll post the demo very soon!!!

The PAIN is coming...this summer!!!In cinemas everywhere.