Which compiler?

Started by
7 comments, last by Noxxid 21 years, 2 months ago
What''s is the best free C++ compiler I can get. I''ve looked at Borland''s and Bloodsheds C++ compiler but that all. What would you guys recommend?
"Classes will dull your mind destroy the potential for authentic creativity"
Advertisement
I held out against Microsoft''s Visual C++ for a long time, but caved in a couple months ago. It far surpassed my expectations and is now my favorite. I would give it a try if and if you don''t like it, at least you will know that it''s not your cup of tea. If you''re looking for a free compiler, you could give DJGPP a try. I haven''t been very successfull with it though. Just my two cents.

"Flies are born the size they are" -- Undisclosed Person
"Flies are born the size they are" -- Undisclosed Person
If you want free, go with Borland. However if begin to really enjoy programming, do not hesitate to get Visual C++ or .NET. They''re so much more enjoyable to use.
quote:Original post by apatequil
If you''re looking for a free compiler, you could give DJGPP a try. I haven''t been very successfull with it though.

DJGPP is a port to DOS of GCC, the same compiler that Dev C++ uses (Dev C++ uses the Windows port).

GCC has great C and C++ compilers (very standards compliant, optimize well, pretty quick, et cetera).

Ok, I downloaded Borland....but....I''m kinda at a loss of what to do with the files. I''m normally used to just clickin on the exe and a compiler pops up, but with this one it wont run the compiler. Can someone tell me what to do with it? I looked in the readme ,but it wasn''t much help.
"Classes will dull your mind destroy the potential for authentic creativity"
These instructions are just from memory, so forgive me if the dont make sense.

1) Create a new text window and File/Save As...
2) Save it as SomeName.cpp
2a) Try to compile it, it might work.

2b) If it doesnt work, then in the project window right click on the top of the tree and select "Add Files" (Or something along the lines)
For an IDE, I''d recommend Visual C++, or perhaps Dev-C++ if you want to be free.

For a *compiler*, I''d recommend Intel''s any day of the week, and twice on Saturdays (no, really, it is that good).

-Mezz
While I''ve not really used the Borland compiler much, I do know that it can''t be used as Mulligan suggested. That copy of the compiler doesn''t come with an IDE, so there''s no point-and-click compiling.

You''ll have to learn how to use the command-line and/or makefiles to use that compiler. Unfortunately, I don''t really know the specifics on that. You could also try finding an IDE compatible with the compiler. I''m sure someone can suggest one for you.

-Auron
I'm not sorry to say that I'm not a big fan of FREE compilers due to lack of quality, and I recommend VC++.

But the best FREE compiler? Well that's GCC. Just go with Dev-C++(it uses MingW, a port of GCC), it's by far the best. A hellva lot better than that Borland command-line shit, don't mess with that stuff!

[edited by - Fucho on January 21, 2003 4:27:45 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement