• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

_Danneman_

OpenGL OpenGL 1 vs. 2 programming

This topic is 5684 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ive had my first run with DirectX, but just recently understood that OpenGL is easier (besides being platform-independent) and have decided to have a go at that instead. However, since OpenGL 2 seems on its way, Im wondering how much benefit I will have from learning OpenGL 1 first. Will the two versions of the language differ much? Are there even enough info on the subject to know for sure? ----PATRIOTISM---- “Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind. And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry. Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and blinded by patriotism, will offer up all of their rights unto the leader and gladly so. How do I know? For this is what I have done. And I am Caesar.” — Julius Caesar

Advertisement
first opengl is NOT a language. It''s a graphic API. Now answering your question , yes you should get an Opengl Book and your will definetly benefit from those. This might not be my best shot by i think that new opengl books, based on 2.0, will show the newer stuff that ogl will have. So you want the basics first..

From what I understand, GL 2 won''t REPLACE GL 1.x
It will just add new things to it.
So, you still have to learn OpenGL 1.x Besides, I don''t think that GL 2 will be the standard very soon. I mean, there are a lot of video cards that can''t support it (especially the old cards), so it is safer, IMHO, to stick with 1.x, at least for another year.

Height Map Editor | Eternal lands

From what I gather, the core will be nigh on identical, its more areas like shaders and render-to-texture that are rumoured to be standardised and neatened up.

So learning the openGL 1 functions and classes etc. will not be a waste of time, since they will keep their names and functions (the change will mostly be "under the hood")?

Ok, thanks

----PATRIOTISM----

“Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind. And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry. Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and blinded by patriotism, will offer up all of their rights unto the leader and gladly so. How do I know? For this is what I have done.
And I am Caesar.”

— Julius Caesar

So learning the openGL 1 functions and classes etc. will not be a waste of time, since they will keep their names and functions (the change will mostly be "under the hood")?

Ok, thanks

----PATRIOTISM----

“Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind. And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry. Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and blinded by patriotism, will offer up all of their rights unto the leader and gladly so. How do I know? For this is what I have done.
And I am Caesar.”

— Julius Caesar

quote:
Original post by _nomad_
so when will OGL 2.0 really come out? next year?

Rumors said December of 2002, so I''d guess it''d be out "soon". Of course, it''ll only come out when the ARB is happy that it''ll last 10+ years without big changes (like OpenGL 1.x did ), so a definite date is hard to give.

Hello

I think that gl 1 will help you understand gl 2, for a few reasons. Somethings are going to change but not everything. Also there will be something called puregl2(now anyway), its opengl2 only, but on top of that there will be the gl1 interface. So it will be a smooth transition.

Some of the changes are going to be to remove some complexity and replace it with scriptability, but I am sure it will help to understand how the old way worked and what the point is.

Other changes include including features that should be a part of gl but were being supplied by otherways currently.

So basically the changes are to add programibility, that makes up a lot of the changes.

Ben

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!