• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to do box-sphere collision detection?

This topic is 5508 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all How to do box-sphere collision detection efficiently? (The box is static and axis-aligned.The sphere is moving) besides, how to adjust the displacement of the moving sphere? (I want sliding effect) Thank you.

Advertisement
It is like rectangle and circle.
When checking the collision with circle, use the cohen-sutherland alg. and then check middle of circle with side of rectangle or vertex, dependt on code from alg.
When you don''t understand you can e-mail me and I will write more.
P.S.: sorry for my english

An easy trick is to extend the sides of the AABB by the radius of the sphere. This breaks the problem down to a point and a box. This is relatively easy to figure out by checking if the point lays behind all of the sides (plane/point test).

For a moving sphere, you use a line segment (remember we are testing against a point, so linear movement of a point is just a line). Split the line segment when it crosses a box plane. If any line segment left is within the box, you have a collision (and the collision point btw). Look into the BSP algorithm for the splitting of the line segment.

The sliding effect can be accomplished by a simple equation.

quote:

Sliding
Its best to solve a collision by deflecting the players motion rather than stopping at the impact point. Imagine running down a hallway and brushing up against the wall would cause you to "stick". This is easily solved using something in your code like:

Vt += Ni * (-dot(Ni,Vt)-Nd)
Where:
Vt = Desired Target or Destination of Player
Ni = Normal to the plane of impact
Nd = The "D" of the hit poly''s "plane equation"
In English, this just means: move the target-position above the impact plane in the direction perpendicular to that plane.

This quote is from http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20010324/melax_01.htm

I haven''t really thought through the problem completely, someone please tell me if I''m wrong here.

--
Before I couldn''t spell engineer, now I are one!

• Advertisement