• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

drarem

ramdisk or drive for win98SE

This topic is 5604 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is the ramdisk just not necessary anymore since virtual memory is at the forefront? I wouldn''t mind giving up some of the vm and handing to the chips to get better performance from certain applications and games I would like to use a ramdrive, I know the one with DOS 7.0 goes up to 32Mb, I tried one yesterday that went up to 2Gb but I probably didnt have it set up right, cauze my AMD 1.6 choked on the log-in prompt (speaker buzzed and machine hung). Had to boot off the CD to delete a couple of stupid lines out of config.sys. I fseek, therefore I fam.

Advertisement
um... you want to trade pagefile for disk? what''s the point in that? these days, pretty much the only time you''d use ramdrive is from dos if you''re booting from the floppy, because
- it''s insanely faster than floppy
- you can compress files on floppy and uncompress them into ramdrive even if you don''t have a harddisk (clean format scenario)

windows is pretty good at caching things. unless you really have a lot of ram (over 1 gb), and at least half of it is never used, and you *know for sure* that a particular application would benefit from having its stuff stored on a ramdrive, i wouldn''t bother.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!