• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rhythm_attic

Wavelab

This topic is 5683 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Has anyone used Wavelab for creating sound fx? I recently just did, and found out that they wont work with DirectSound. Saved as WAV files, I ended up finding out that Wavelab inserts some sort of information into the WAV which then stops it from working with DirectSound. I solved the problem by importing and exporting with Sound Forge, but as I know how to use Wavelab best, I dont want to import/export all the time. Does anyone know about this problem? and how to save as a WAV and have it working in game? Thanks

Advertisement
Maybe you could figure out the format difference and write your own loader? That way, if the base loader fails, you can fall back on your own...

Sorry, I have no knowledge of Wavelab.

[edited by - Waverider on January 21, 2003 3:54:59 PM]

Could be that DirectSound requires WAVs to be in the canonical wave format, which is actually wrong. In order to read a WAV correctly, you need to scan for the location of the fmt + data chunks. You shouldn''t rely upon the offset of these chunks to be the same in all WAVs, even though in most cases they will be. I presume Wavelab adds its own proprietary chunks somewhere, and these screw up the offsets of the chunks you''re looking for. The correct WAV format can be found at www.wotsit.org.

quote:
I presume Wavelab adds its own proprietary chunks somewhere, and these screw up the offsets of the chunks you''re looking for. The correct WAV format can be found at www.wotsit.org.

It looks like it adds a "PAD " chunk to align the data.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!