Operator[ ]

Started by
5 comments, last by WickedMystic 23 years, 11 months ago
Heya, say I have this class: class matrix { public: float value[16]; matrix() { for(int j = 0; j < 16; j++) value[j] = 0.0f; } }; I would like to define an operator[] that allows me to do stuff like this: matrix M; M[0] = 0; M[1] = 1; etc... But I have no idea how to actually do this. Is it even possible? Thanks WickedMystic Edited by - WickedMystic on 5/9/00 5:04:13 PM Edited by - WickedMystic on 5/9/00 5:10:25 PM
Advertisement
The first operator[] is for read, the second is for read/write.

class CMatrix
{
public :
float operator[](unsigned int iElement) const { return m_afElements[iElement]; }

float& operator[](unsigned int iElement) { return m_afElements[iElement]; }

private :
float m_afElements[16];
};
Hate to tell you this, but i don't think it can be done with that type of symbol.
M[] is used for arrays, such as you had made Matrix M[20]; so I think you would have to do something different.

You could make a function :
Matrix::setcell(int cell, float toset)
{
value[cell]=toset;
}

I think that should work... I might be wrong about not being able to do it your way, but I really don't think it would work.

Drakonite

--Don't quote me on that, unless I'm right.

Edited by - Drakonite on May 9, 2000 6:19:17 PM
Shoot Pixels Not People
So you want to do something like this:

class Array {
char A[256];
public:
char operator[](int index);
};

char Array::operator[](int index) {
return A[index];
}
------------------------------"My sword is like a menacing cloud, but instead of rain, blood will pour in its path." - Sehabeddin, Turkish Military Commander 1438.
Thanks to the anonymous poster. That works like a charm

WickedMystic
Oh I see what you want it to do now . You''ll have to pass it back as a reference. Code below...

class CArray {
int Array[256];
public:
CArray();
int& operator[](int index);
};

CArray::CArray()
{
for(int x = 0; x < 256; x++)
Array[x] = 0;
}

int& CArray::operator[](int index)
{
return Array[index];
}

That will do what you want it to.
------------------------------"My sword is like a menacing cloud, but instead of rain, blood will pour in its path." - Sehabeddin, Turkish Military Commander 1438.
You might want to make the const version of operator[] return a const reference.

as in

const float& operator[](unsigned int index) const;

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement