C++ in VS C++ 6 or VS .NET

Started by
2 comments, last by riz 21 years, 2 months ago
Hey Guys, I have Visual C++ 6.0 installed and I''ve been doing some DirectX programming. I just got Visual Studio .NET for free (Academic version) from my school, and I was wondering if you think I should upgrade. Is the C++ code editor and compiler different? How about importing the DirectX libraries and stuff into the project? Just wondering what experiences you guys have had with it, and if you wouldn''t mind sharing. Thanks, Rizwan
Advertisement
VS.Net is more compliant with the standards, and I like it better than VS 6. It did take some getting used to though. I''ve heard that it has some bugs where typing in code can freeze the IDE because of intellisense, but I''ve yet to encounter any of those bugs.
The only bug I''ve run into so far was that it has a hard time converting VS 4.0 projects correctly, and I have to remove all the files from the project and add them again before it will compile, but that probably won''t be a big deal for most people =-P

500 x 1
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Thanks for your reply Extrarius,

I think I will go ahead and install it then. Have you tried compiling/running directx and/or openGL programs on it?

Thanks,
Riz
I''ve switched over to VC++ .net and have had no trouble compiling DirextX projects. The DirectX help system incorporates right into the .net help system which is pretty nice as well. BTW, I''m using DX9.0 SDK.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement