Learning DDraw?

Started by
3 comments, last by Losec 21 years, 2 months ago
I was wondering if there is any point learning DDraw before D3D because i have heard that now you do not need to use DDraw objects to implement D3D now. Can somebody please tell me is i should learn DDraw fully, or if it is a waste of time.. because i know most 2d games are done using d3D now ---- Losec
Advertisement
Ummm, just to let you know...Diablo II was done in Direct3D and I think StarCraft was too...

I use DirectDraw because I am and independent developer and its easier for me...

<- Digital Explosions ->
"Discipline is my sword, faith is my shield
do not dive into uncertainty, and you may live to reap the rewards" - (Unreal Championship)
I''m not sure but basically it''ll probably be very easy to do 2d graphics once you get basic functions written in either directdraw or d3d... I''m currently working on "updating" my dx7 engine (which uses ddraw for 2d stuff) to dx9 (which I''m still having a few problems with). But either way, once it''s done, it''ll work the same way. But one of the best things about doing it in 3d is probably how easy it is do render a rotated bitmap onto the screen at any size whatsoever. Good luck! You might want to take other people''s opinions as well before deciding.
if u want to let people without 3d accelerated video cards play your game you will need to use directdraw.

I learned directdraw 7 at first.
directx 8 was not out yet.

I switched to d3d8 and now to d3d9 for both 2d and 3d.

if you plan to make 3d games eventually I say start with d3d9 even for 2d.
Thanks for the tips, i have learnt alot of DDraw already, so i will probably move onto DX3D soon, as soon as andre lamonte next book gets published ... come on andre

---
Losec

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement