• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mirrored Objects Rendering

This topic is 5597 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all. I''m just a hobbyist game dev whose been playing around with code to render mirrored surfaces. I''ve come up with something that math-wise should be correct, but imho, it just doesn''t look quite right. I can''t put my finger on what it is, so I thought I''d see if anyone with a trained eye can spot what''s wrong. The thumbnail links to a bigger screen shot, ~100KB.

Advertisement
The fact that your white objects have black mirror images doesn''t help. Unless your going for shadow rather than mirror?

- Ben Scott
Just starting out

Great observation ShonTsu. I am going for a kind of smoky blue mirror look, but I think you're right about the mirrored white piece images being too dark.

I've made a change that I think takes care of the problem and re-posted it below. It didn't take care of the "problem" that I think is there, but now I'm being to wonder.

[edited by - darrell l on January 22, 2003 9:21:43 AM]

The mirror should have some "thickness" to it.
The pieces look as if they and their reflections are touching....there should be a small gap between.
Place a real mirror on a table and put something on it to see what I mean.

It may also look funny because there is nothing else being reflected.

Wolfmanyoda, I think you''ve hit on what I couldn''t see with your mention of the lack of mirror thickness. Moving the mirror down definitely makes a difference. You also made me realize that I wasn''t reflecting the frame. Thanks.

It''s still not perfect but I think now I can go look for some good room textures to add to it and then see what damage I can cause with my shadow code.

If you have any more input, or anyone else does, feel free to chime in. Thanks guys.

I think your perspective is too close to the image. What I mean is I need to put my face really close to the monitor for the reflections to be at the angle I''d expect them to be in a real mirror (i.e. look like they''re pointing towards me).

- Ben Scott
Just starting out

I agree with Shon Tsu on that last comment it looks like the reflections are pointing towards a center point in stead of straightback. Is that what you''re looking for?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!