• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

billybob

when is multiple inheritance bad?

This topic is 5601 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i have a few classes that inherit from multiple classes. one is a ogg vorbis class that inherits from a resource class that all my loaded objects derive from. the other thing it inherits from is a thread class for looping in the background. is this bad? if not, what is? [edited by - billybob on January 21, 2003 9:22:25 PM]

Advertisement
There are several reasons to avoid MI, but if you do use it always try to avoid a diamond-shaped inheritance hierarcy. In your example, I would probably privately inherit from the thread class or maybe have a thread object attribute.

[edit] Doesnt your sound library do the required threading for you anyway?

[edited by - sark on January 21, 2003 12:57:40 AM]

nope, its openal, so it has to periodically update to queue more buffers with the music data before it runs out.

diamond shaped?

quote:
Original post by billybob
diamond shaped?

A diamond-shaped inheritance hierarchy looks like this:

A
/ \
B C
\ /
D

Where A is the root base class and D is at the top of the hierarchy. This can cause ambiguity problems. I dont remember the specifics, but diamond shapes are a pain in the arse and can almost always be avoided.

the problem occurs when B and C have a function named the same thing that takes the same parameters. Incredibly nasty stuff happens (sometimes compile errors, sometimes runtime errors)...

I have yet to see a nastier-to-trace bug than one I had with diamond inheritance...

quote:
Original post by xaxa
When you want to follow Object Oriented Paradigms.

You need it when you have pure virtual baseclasses representing "interfaces" in C++, something which is used quite a bit in C++ OO methodology.

oh, these are just really simple classes. CResource is the base class for anything that is loaded from a file, has a 32 bit id number, file name, type, and stuff like that. it doesn''t inherit from anything. the thread class is just a simple thread, it has like 3 public functions, doesn''t inherit from anything. so i take it this is safe

quote:
always try to avoid a diamond-shaped inheritance hierarcy

Diamond shaped is sometimes a great solution. I used to oppose it too but then I stumbled across a problem that could be perfectly solved with it. The hierarchy looked like this:

A
/|\
/ | \
B C D
| /|\ |
|/ | \|
E F G
| / \ |
|/ \|
H I

It was actually quite a bit more complex but I drew the simplified version.

The only other solution I came up for the problem I had was to use the bridge pattern. But bridge was hugely more bloated and didn''t add any benefits, so why would I fanatically oppose weird looking multiple inheritance if it happens to be the most suitable solution?-)

quote:
Original post by billybob
when is multiple inheritance bad?

When is inheritance bad? Inheritance is a mechanism for sharing commonality across multiple classes. In static languages like C++, it is also a means of allowing the compiler to verify the IS-A relationship at compile-time, so that inheritance means two things in C++: it is a code-sharing (mix-in) mechanism, and it is a means of re-introducing some limited amount of polymorphism into a language which enforces non-polymorphism as the default. Problems occur when these two concerns get confused. For example, people inherit a base class in order to mix-in some common code, and then find they have a meaningless "IS-A" relationship. Often, it is better to attempt aggregation / delegation before resorting to inheritance, although C++ does not do delegation well either. See: C++ Support for Delegation. However, although delegation can involve a lot of code replication, it does avoid the confused semantics of inheritance, which is potentially a bigger problem.

Multiple inheritance introduces yet another problem. Adding to the confusion of inheritance serving two concerns, in C++ classes also serve a dual role: they are both the building block of the object system and a namespace for resolving the meaning of symbols. When multiply-inheriting two classes, the symbol-tables clash together. With no means of determining precedence, this potentially creates naming conflicts. Further code replication is then required to disambiguate the conflicts. Nice, huh?
quote:

i have a few classes that inherit from multiple classes. one is a ogg vorbis class that inherits from a resource class that all my loaded objects derive from. the other thing it inherits from is a thread class for looping in the background. is this bad?

The odds say "yes", but your description is insufficient to tell for sure.

[edited by - SabreMan on January 22, 2003 9:10:06 AM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!