• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good rescources for lighting.

This topic is 5511 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. I was wondering if anyone knows of good resoures (online or book-wise) exclusively devoted to explaining lighting mechanics in OpenGL. Of all tutorials on OpenGL, most of them only briefly describe how to get your world lit, not explaining the usage of all the attributes lights OpenGL implements. For example, no sites I''ve seen explain the glMaterial attribute GL_EMISSION... and the technical reference uses a recursive definition of what it actually does =-( Any books devoted to the subject would be great. "You TK''ed my chicken!"

Advertisement
What you want is a book not dedicated to lighting in OpenGL, but dedicated to 3D theory, because lighting is 3D theory, OpenGL just provides some functions to make lighting easier (and hardware accelerated). So, the following books will be the most help:

- Real-Time Rendering
- Computer Graphics: Principle and Practice

There are also some decent sites out there with lighting theory, you just gotta search for ''em (I''m sure Real-Time Rendering.com has some links).

Trent Polack
trent.codershq.com
trent@codershq.com
Author of Focus on 3D Terrain Programming

• Advertisement