• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dead_roses

OpenGL OpenGL sdk v1.4???

This topic is 5387 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been programming in OpenGL for a while, but am still using the include files that come with VC++. I think they are version 1.1. I was wondering where I could download the new include files up to v.1.4 Ive looked at openGL.org but cant seem to find anything. Thanks for any help.

Advertisement
Here I go again...

OpenGL is a standard. There are many implementations of this standard.

There are two parts to an OpenGL implementation, the MCD and the ICD. The MCD is supplied as part of the windowing system, and the ICD as part of a video card driver (normally).

Microsoft has its own implementation of OpenGL for Windows (meaning the MCD). Microsoft hasn''t update their OpenGL implementation in many years, so it remains at version 1.1. Since you link against the MCD (as opposed to the ICD), you can only link against the Windows OpenGL implementation at version 1.1.

Most other implementations of OpenGL are compliant with version 1.4, so Microsoft is either being lazy, evil, incompetent or something (pick one).

Using OpenGL''s extension mechanism, you can access the post 1.1 features of OpenGL (among other things).

yes i know thats what im asking for a link too. maybe i missed it at opengl.org. I want the sdk with the glprocs files, adn the extensions.

quote:
Original post by dead_roses
yes i know thats what im asking for a link too. maybe i missed it at opengl.org. I want the sdk with the glprocs files, adn the extensions.

You can get a current version of glext.h here. That''s all you need to use extensions.

quote:
Original post by neurokaotix
Ok so I am now under the impression that there are no 1.4 downloads available.

For Microsoft''s implementation? No, there are not.

If you want any implemenation compliant with OpenGL 1.4 go here. Although I doubt it''s what you want .

OS X Jaguar ships with an OpenGL 1.4 compliant implementation, no need to download it...

As Null and Void said. But, if your ICD supports OpenGL1.4 (the latest NVidia & ATI drivers do), you can access the OpenGL 1.4 functions through wglGetProcAddress. This is not exactly the same as using the features as extensions.

This library will do all of the wglGetProcAddress stuff for you. So, as long as your ICD supports version 1.4, you can use 1.4 after a couple of new lines.

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~univ1234

[edited by - bakery2k1 on January 22, 2003 7:53:29 AM]

[edited by - bakery2k1 on January 22, 2003 7:54:08 AM]

This article provides a solid overview of using OpenGL features introduced after v1.1 with Windows (assuming your ICD supports them):

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/oglext/

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!