• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MD3 format specification

This topic is 5504 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I''ve been searching for a specification of the md3-file format, used in Quake 3 etc, without luck. Now I''m hoping that some of you might know where to find it. Thanks in advance. Regards, Deficite

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Hello there!!

Check http://www.gametutorials.com/

hope it helps.

Cheers

Not really! I''ve downloaded the two tutorials I''ve found on md3 loading there, but none of them covers the structure of md3''s or any theory. Hope you, or someone else, can point me in a different direction.

Regards,
Deficite

Guest Anonymous Poster
Or u can fire up ur l33t Netscape Navigator3D :D
and load up http://www.google.com/

Well well, didn''t really expect to see an AP this soon Very funny man that you should mention google. If you hade bothered to read my post then you would have noticed that I have tried searching for it without luck. There are good ones on the md2 file format, but not on md3 and forget about md5.

Deficite

Guest Anonymous Poster
A few months ago i searched for info on google about md3 and guess what, i found it after a couple of clicks
Dunno where it was.. didnt like much of the format anyway :\

Of course i did, but the only relevant link on that results page is the first link. But that page is full of cr*p. Anyone got anything else?

Regards,
Deficite

Guest Anonymous Poster
You can figure out the format from the tutorials.

Guest Anonymous Poster
MD5 is not a model format, it''s an encryption thing. Just wanted to say that.

quote:
Original post by Deficite
But that page is full of cr*p.

um, what do you suppose a format description looks like?

if you want code for pasting, go to gametutorials as has already been suggested. if you want to understand the format, read that first link. if you want to do nothing and expect that somehow everything will magically assemble itself together, well, you''re in the wrong place.

make some effort, will you?

Hello again,

What''s your problem, that format desciption is so crappy it''s impossible to handle without a headache. There are thousands of great format descriptions out there about md2, but none about md3. The good, don''t even have to be great, are at least well structured and somewhat informative. By the way if you hade read my question you would have noticed that I ask for a format specification nothing more. So if you want to answer the question: "you make some effort, will you?"

Deficite

my problem? i actually found it easier to implement md3 loading using only that page than looking at gametutorials code, but that''s impossible, because that page is so crappy, isn''t it? full of cryptic symbols you don''t understand? there are no step-by-step instructions for you to follow? no walkthrough on which keys to punch and where to move your mouse? go back to klik and play land where you came from.

you have been enlightened: you can''t klik through everything. take the hint already.

here''s a great idea. how about you give up all this programming nonsense and get yourself a super l33t g4m3 m4k3r 5k? i heard you can crank out a doom 3 on it in no time at all, same goes for ut or whatever else your favorite game might be. and the best thing is, keyboard is optional! you can make games without lifting both hands off your mouse.

cheers

Well pardon me mr.niyaw, elite hacker guy, if you happen to know everything about everything right from the beginning. Guess you''ve never been new to anything in your life. And that reference to an old post of mine, is just pathetic. What does that have to do with anything? Yes I admin I was new to Direct3D, yes I was new to C++, yes I was new to advanced topics of graphics programming. I confess! But since I''ve advanced a litle since, I thought I might try to implement something of my own. Using nothing but a "format reference", in this case the MD3-reference.

python_regious posted a link to the MD3-reference mentioned earlier, the one I think is cr*p. At the bottom of that page there is a link to a well structured and well thought through explanation of the MD2 file format. That is the one I used to implement a MD2 model loader, so that''s not the problem. The problem is people like yourself, who contribute to nothing more than complaints. Have you even tried to answer the question yet without harassing me for my programming skills, which you by the way know nothing about, or complaining about my previous posts?

-Deficite

Yesterday I wrote a an md5 importer for 3DSMax 4/5
What is great if you have max 5 is the ability to view normal maps directly in the viewports using "metal bump" viewport manager.

Actually the code is quite messy as I wrote it in one afternoon.

(It''s weakness is to not import md5 bones)

Anyway if any of you need that md5 importer mail me at bender77@caramail.com

(ps: I''m french so if you are too, don''t bother mailing me in english ) )

re-ps: In doom3 some files are .lwo (lightwave) and .ase (ascii file), as anyone got an import plugin for that working in max 5 ?

quote:
Original post by Deficite
Well pardon me mr.niyaw, elite hacker guy, if you happen to know everything about everything right from the beginning. Guess you've never been new to anything in your life.

yes i have, but i didn't jump over my head and i certainly didn't ask HO 2 MAEK TERTIS in 3213 sampel steps1!``. i can read msdn and i can search google, skills you seem to be lacking. if that md3 spec is more than you can chew, do something simpler. but putting down an excellent document because you don't get it doesn't make you look good. yes, i think it's an excellent format reference. you can download quake tool sources and read them and make your own format spec. up to the task?
quote:

And that reference to an old post of mine, is just pathetic. What does that have to do with anything? Yes I admin I was new to Direct3D, yes I was new to C++, yes I was new to advanced topics of graphics programming. I confess! But since I've advanced a litle since, I thought I might try to implement something of my own. Using nothing but a "format reference", in this case the MD3-reference.

that thread was from last month. there's no way you became a c++/windows/directx/graphics theory/whatever expert in one month. it's just not possible. if you want to implement something, stop whining about bad docs and do the damn thing already.
quote:

python_regious posted a link to the MD3-reference mentioned earlier, the one I think is cr*p. At the bottom of that page there is a link to a well structured and well thought through explanation of the MD2 file format. That is the one I used to implement a MD2 model loader, so that's not the problem.

so md3 spec is more dense. why are you stuck on it? do something else and come to md3 later when you can understand it. fair enough?
quote:

The problem is people like yourself, who contribute to nothing more than complaints. Have you even tried to answer the question yet without harassing me for my programming skills, which you by the way know nothing about, or complaining about my previous posts?

yes, when you talk sense.

[edited by - niyaw on January 24, 2003 8:29:53 AM]

So a summary of that would be that it is impossible to move from creating a direct3d applicaition window, to loading a quake 3 model in 1.5 months? Why is that impossible? Why should I bother that you think it''s an excellent document? I don''t think it''s an excellent document, isn''t that what concerns me? I never asked anyone for a complete implementation, never for source code of md3 loaders. I only asked if someone KNEW where to find a reference. So far none has been able to give it to me. I don''t like that reference, but that''s personal taste. If there are no other references that one will have to do. But hopefully there might be one more reference, I mean there can''t be only one. You still haven''t managed to answer my question, only yell at me for asking.

Your problem seem to be that you don''t accept that other people have different oppinions, about stuff, than you have. Therefor you go around and whine, complain and rant them about not being pros, not being able to search google etc. If you can''t answer the question, don''t bother replying to the question.

-Deficite

For your information, in abit more than one month I''ve gone from creaing a window in d3d and displaying the fps to using shaders, loading models, handling lights, creating an FPS-like camera etc. The scenario now is that I can run around in a frustum culled world, with collision detection, pixel/vertex-shaders, various lights and more. Meaning I''m not a rookie programmer, I''m no complaining kid, I know my way around the documentation, c++ and direct3d now. But I don''t know everyting, I don''t know all about skeletal animation and stuff like that. Therefor I ask for help, the purpose of this message board, and all I get is harassments from you. I am thankful for your help with previous posts of mine, but this is ridicioulus.

-Deficite

Deficite - don''t take flames to be personal.

To be brutally honest, nobody cares if you like or dislike the format of that article. Fact is, it''s not half bad. Take some asprin for that headache and try again.

Tom L

Krumms, I asked: Where can I find an MD3-spec.doc. I got one link to a document, which in fact was a spec.doc. I said I don''t like it, is there someone who has got another one? Is there a problem with that? I don''t ask questions here if I already found something good on google. I don''t search for 2min give up and harass everyone here. I just wanted an answer, not a flame, for the question. If you know an answer then reply, if you don''t: "Shutup". I don''t need stupid a** remarks about google, netscape, l33t hackers etc.

Flames from niyaw were personal by the way.

-Deficite

i dont understand why u are so unwilling to accept the tutorials in www.gametutorials.com... they r simply great.

Look, md3 format is lot more difficult than md2... which is basically about loading the glCommands and rendering the key-frames. So itz quite natural that md3 format, as shown in www.gametutorials.com will be a little cumbersome and confusing on first sight. But trust me, the tutorials in gametutorials.com are the best i''ve seen. AND DONT EXPECT TO LEARN MD3 without a lil headache

That is one of the things that f**ks me off about this forum. People constantly telling people to search google, when the person has done some research into the subject and are still in need of help. Fair enough, some people do need to be told to search the web, but Deficite certainly hasn''t come on here saying "i wAnt 2 MakeS tEH ENgiNEZ QUAKEZ0R HoW??!!1!!"

Why don''t we just replace the whole forum with large bold text saying STFW. Then no one would ask annoying questions and we could all be happy. At the end of the day Deficites question was quite reasonable, perhaps some people just need to grow up and stop putting other people down in an attempt to boost their own egos? It doesn''t make you look more knowledgable, it just makes you look like a complete knob jockey.

Personally I think having one or two resources on a subject is always a help, as you get a different perspective, and more information on the subject. This is especially true about file formats IMO, where sometimes one document may have ambiguities, or not explain something as well as another.

• Advertisement