• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Current Lighting techniques scheduled to death ?

This topic is 5510 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve been doing some thoughts recently and i came to the conclusion that the ONLY way to do realistic lighting is Ray-tracing . Casting shadows is still a hack . Shadows are not casted in reality , and current methods do not look as real as reality . So , hearing about PS3''s cell processor and reading some posts it appears that there won''t be performance problems as regards the huge number of calculations needed to be done . What do you think ? I believe in 2-3 years from now on , games will be using real time raytracers for lighting . Thoughts - comments ?

Advertisement
visit http://www.realstorm.com/

download there realtime raytracing demo and look at youre frame rate.

Raytracing doesn''t look realistic at all. Raytracing methods do a good job with specular lighting, but they completely ignore diffuse lighting, which is really the more important bit of the lighting equation.

they can do everything rastericers can do (except rastericing:D). they can do the same lightings, +they can do more lightings. once raytracing starts to get into hw, it possibly gets more and more support => more and more speed. then, every lighting sheme can get applied (montecarlo style, or similar)..

rastericers suck

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com

• Advertisement