Huge objects in D3DIM7

Started by
2 comments, last by _Alex_ 23 years, 11 months ago
I''ve got strange errors when I tried to render a huge mesh in D3DIM7. The mesh intersected both back(1.0) and front(1000.0) clipping planes. The RGB device rendering was OK but HAL device (on Voodoo3 2000) was causing exception in rpcrt.dll !!! (I guess it is used for COM functions ptrs) Then I scaled the mesh to fit it into the viewport and got no errors! I used the code for view and projection matrices generation using given FOV from D3D frame lib so maybe that caused the problem but on the other hand those could be bugs in voodoo drivers. Any suggestions or similar experience?
Advertisement
D3D Does not have any concept of units of measurement. The units of measurement you use are entirely defined by YOU. When you load a mesh, D3D DOES NOT know what proportions to scale the mesh to, and it is left up to you to scale it to proper size. The reason for the exception was probably do to the size of the mesh and the calculations involved in rendering it.

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

I know that. Scaling meshes is OK but what if I need to render a landscape that is BIG. Does that mean D3D SWT&L sux and I need to do it all myself (transform and CLIP)? I couldn''t test if HWT&L produces the same errors so it''s difficult to find out if I made the error or D3D.
There''s a limit on the number of vertices you can send (its quite high, something like 100000 - if you''ve got the debug build of DirectX it should produce the error message which tells you) in one go. If you need to do a huge landscape, split it into managable blocks, and only render those which you know are approximately in the current view (ie just check the edges of the blocks). This will help performance as well.

If this doesn''t help, make sure you''ve set the viewport correctly, then check that your drivers are up to date. The Voodoo drivers have always been poor if you ask me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement