Poll: What would you add to C++?

Started by
208 comments, last by null_pointer 20 years, 11 months ago
i would add vb

------------------------------------------------------------
I really need to update this signature... edit: i think i will

[edited by - demonrazor2003 on May 14, 2003 8:59:58 PM]
If you can't make a decision, the right choice is not to.This link = GameDev.Net Forums
Advertisement
quote:Original post by null_pointer
Extrarius: Does Latin have a word for "donut"?

torus?
A spectacularly simple and extensible preprocessor.

A Problem Worthy of Attack
Proves It''s Worth by Fighting Back
spraff.net: don't laugh, I'm still just starting...
I would take away all C++ features and add all Python''s features. Really, does this G1 have any original ideas or elegant solutions?
quote:I would take away all C++ features and add all Python''s features.

G¹ bears little more than a passing resemblance to C++ now.

quote:Really, does this G¹ have any original ideas or elegant solutions?

Yes.
quote:Original post by null_pointer
AP> Really, does this G¹ have any original ideas or elegant solutions?

Yes.
Well, that was a short answer but it left me quite sceptical. Can you tell us some of the features you consider better than in other languages? I know there''s 10 pages here to browse but a short summary would be good (it would also help for not getting the same suggestions again). With a quick browsing, I didn''t find anything original :/
scratch my previous post

nothing, i would take it out

------------------------------------------------------------
I like putting my two cents in, so here it is.
If you can't make a decision, the right choice is not to.This link = GameDev.Net Forums
quote:Well, that was a short answer but it left me quite sceptical. Can you tell us some of the features you consider better than in other languages? I know there''s 10 pages here to browse but a short summary would be good (it would also help for not getting the same suggestions again). With a quick browsing, I didn''t find anything original :/

I would not ask you to read back through ten pages just to find some information, but in any event there is not any substantial information on G¹ to be found in this topic. This topic was really intended for discussing wish lists for C++, but some of my posts did wander into asking about those features in the context of my new language, so I can understand why you might be a bit curious about it.

G¹ is currently under development, and much of the language will not soon be finalized to the point where it can withstand public scrutiny. Also, this may sound harsh and perhaps somewhat paranoid, but I do not want anyone stealing my ideas until I have had at least a chance to build and release an implementation for my language. Not that you would steal them, mind you, but we are posting in a "public" forum, and there are others more skilled at developing programming languages than me.

I think it is a good idea to be skeptical. I would not want anyone accepting a new language based solely on the author''s claims. Wait until I provide some more tangible information, and then you can evaluate it on your own. It will at least be some weeks, and I will probably post a new topic so other programmers can review it. Perhaps the community would be able to provide some helpful advice or refinements, anyway.
How about (inline?) functions inside functions?
Called Local Functions, pascal has them - interesting problems crop up with them:

function do_stuff;var i;begin   function mess_with_i;   begin      i:=i+1;   end;   function engima;   var i;      begin      mess_with_i;   end;end; 

Which i gets messed with? Pascal says the local i in engima does, and this affects the amount of information that must be passed on the stack and how stack variables are accessed.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement