According to you is better to program with direct3D or DirectDraw?

Started by
5 comments, last by Link 21 years, 2 months ago
Down with the answares!! [edited by - Link on January 22, 2003 10:28:35 AM]
Advertisement
well direct3d does the math for you and much of it is hardware accelerated. ofcourse... if you like math im sure you can make a decent software engine and just use directdraw. or maybe you can get directx9.
I am soooo bad at this.
Yes but DirectDraw is exclusiving incluse in directX or installing VisualStudio the functions of DirectDraw are the same hadlering?
DirectDraw is more low level then Direct3d?
the reasons to use DirectDraw 7:
a) the game is completely 2D
b) you would like people to be able to play without hardware acceleration

otherwise I recommend Direct3D 9.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
the reasons to use DirectDraw 7:
a) the game is completely 2D
b) you would like people to be able to play without hardware acceleration

otherwise I recommend Direct3D 9.

ok Now i want understand in the specific:
a)i can''t make 3d game with directDraw?
b)If i have a old VideoBoard i can''t use directX but just DirectDraw?
c)If i make a 2d game with directDraw it will be more fast that if i used direct3D?
a) I think it''s possible. Not recommended. Like re-inventing the wheel. If your doing 3D then you would use Direct3D.
b) you will need a hardware accelerated video card to use Direct3D. if you have an older video card without hardware acceleration you can use DirectDraw.
c) a 2D game in direct3d 9 will be faster than directdraw 7.
quote:a)i can''t make 3d game with directDraw?

You can but you will need to write your own raster engine, z-buffer, transparency routines. A lot of us used to do this (DOS or early DX) and it may help you understand what goes on under the hood of D3D
quote:b)If i have a old VideoBoard i can''t use directX but just DirectDraw?

If you want to support old Video cards and want to use D3D try D3D7 - it has HW and SW modes and you can support both. The SW renderer isnt that great but for little effort you can have a SW and HW 3d engine.
quote:c)If i make a 2d game with directDraw it will be more fast that if i used direct3D?

It kinda depends. If it''s an old GFX card it may not have decent 3d acceleration so DD may be quicker. With any card in the last 3/4 years or so would be quicker with d3d (TNT2/Voodoo 3 up i suppose)

Neil

WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THE LARGEST ARMS IN THE WORLD RUN WILD ON YOU?!?!
WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THE LARGEST ARMS IN THE WORLD RUN WILD ON YOU?!?!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement