• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Drath

Got DX9 but want to keep DX8.1

This topic is 5752 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I got the latest sdk but I want to know if it is fine to install it in a seperate directory. I just want to check that they dont conflict each other by just coexisiting together.

Advertisement
Personally I wouldn''t try "installing" each as such although it should work. I''m assuming this is so that you still have access to the old docs and samples.

The DX8 (and previous) header and lib files are contained in the DX9 SDK header and lib folders so you don''t need those - really the ONLY relevent difference is the docs and samples

What I''d do: uninstall all of DX8.x, install the complete DX9 SDK, then make a folder inside DXSDK called OLD_SAMPLES and copy the contents of the old DX8 SAMPLES folder into there. Do the same with the DOC folder, create a DirectX8 folder in there...

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

i just installed dx9 over my dx8(in a different folder ofcourse) and the documentation stayed put and my dx8 apps still compile, so im guess dx9 doenst do anything bad to dx8.

You can delete your dxsdk 8.1 then simply install 9 and all the 8.1 codes will work on it. I did this way. :D

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!