Paths .....

Started by
4 comments, last by Wolfman 21 years, 3 months ago
Ok, I want my camera to move along a set path. This is for the mini-demo contest. Now, the easiest way I can think of is to have a series of points, and then to linearly interpolate between these points. This is easy but I can forsee one problem: Its linear eg if the points are not good enough it will jerk. So I looked around and found out there is cubic spline interpolation. Except that looks like a nightmare with control points, lotso maths etc. So I was wondering if anyone can suggest an easy way to move the camera along a set path but have the path nice and smooth. Or am I going to be resigned to linear interpolation? Thanks, -wolfman
-wolfmanThe End is only the Beginning of the End
Advertisement
Google: "quaternion slerp"
"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
set points....ok im just being stupid about it....however

make an equation, pull out your little TI 83, nice little function, and use those points. Dont have to worry about jerky.

Iknow this is a bit more complicated then it has to be, but its how i would do it.
Quit yer whining. Cubic spline interpolation is pretty much the easiest way out there to make curves. Spend a little time reading about them, and you will be rewarded.

Don''t listen to me. I''ve had too much coffee.
Stop your whining Sneftel
Ok, I had a look at quaternion slerps .... and went right off em! Im not sure that complex numbers & 4D maths is easier than cubic splines ..... so I went and had a major look around for a good CS tutorial .... and I found one that had stuff I could follow in it .... and now im almost done, so thanks for giving me a kick up the backside Sneftel - its what I needed. My maths has allways been my weak point!

-wolfman
-wolfmanThe End is only the Beginning of the End

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement