• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Delphi DirectX components

This topic is 5498 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

About two years ago I started to write my own DirectX wrapper components for Delphi (DirectX 8.1) and here's what I got so far DirectDraw wrapper (no alpha-blending support yet) DirectSound wrapper (without DirectSound 3D support) DirectMusic wrapper DirectX Graphics wrapper (for drawing 2D stuff with 3D hardware acceleration) DirectInput wrapper (no joystick support yet) DirectShow wrapper BASS Sound System wrapper Bitmap Font drawing engine (with word-wrap support, both mono and variable-spaced fonts supported, quite fast) System info component (Get info about the 3d card and its features, possible resolutions, windows version, RAM, etc.) Sprite Engine (With ultra fast per-pixel collision detection, word with DirectDraw, DirectX Graphics and Windows GDI) User interface Engine (see Interface Editor) Timer component (Thread driven with frame-rate counter) Error logging component Windows GDI component Windows MMSystem Audio component Package Editor (allows you to store all your game data files in a single package file. Supports folders and sub-folders and much more) Interface Editor (Allows you to create graphical user interfaces using a WYSIWYG editor. Support for buttons, edit-boxes, list-boxes, multi-line text fields and labels) Font Forge (Creates bitmapped fonts from Windows True-Type-Fonts with drop-shadows, glows, Anti-Aliasing... creates Alpha Channels and also allows you to import pre-existing fonts in bitmap format) Stuff that has not been written yet: Direct3D wrapper Sprite Editor Tile-based map editor The "game development kit" will be free, the wrapper classes will be open source (with a custom license) and the tools will be non-open-source. Tell me what you think! Is that something that you'd like to use? [edited by - Harry Hunt on January 22, 2003 12:42:05 PM]

Advertisement
Congrats! It seems like every Delphi dude and his dog has released a component set (I''d probably try to release one too if I ever bothered to code) -- I''m glad that you jumped on the bandwagon . A couple of questions:

VCL or not?
What''s the name?

The first could set your component set apart from the other stuff (if it''s not using the VCL) - coz of the size . However, it''s equally fine if it uses the VCL.

I have to know the name because I always find myself listing the component sets to newbies. It''s got to the ridiculous stage now (let me see... Project Omega, Powerdraw, GLXTreem, DelphiX (and UnDelphiX), SDL, GameVision, Delphi Games Creator, and now yours, not to mention the 50 different graphics-only thingies out there). Aaarrgh!

Anyway, fine work! I''m sure that it will come in handy to people. Keep on improving it, make some lovely example programs, write documentation, and pimp it mercilessly! Remember that you''re fighting a 3-way battle to the death with Powerdraw and Project Omega (the rest don''t use D3D so I omitted them, plus I would probably forget some!). You seem to have the utilities sorted out.

Supporting multiple graphics APIs does seem like a nice bonus.

Off-topic but entirely predictable: have you been to DGDev? Not seen you there yet...

Damn, why didn''t you release your components before? I wouldn''t bother with PowerDraw then

And Alimonster: Although theoretically PowerDraw is competing with Project Omega, myself I''m not a capitalist-kind (btw!) and I actually not interested in beating other components. If you see, I never did any promotions for PowerDraw (the only place I released them was Turbo and my weak homepage), I never tried to make it popular and I never wrote messages saying: "use PowerDraw instead". PowerDraw is made only for our project and since I beleive knowledge is the power, I try to share our graphics core with the others, hoping that there is someone who will also share something with us. Besides, 3D graphics is my drug so I just can''t get my hands off PowerDraw (oh yes, and I''m more 3D artist than programmer!)
And finally, I''ve actually seen and tried Project Omega and it really makes me very happy that I''m not alone doing this graphics stuff...

Just a stupid little question: Why to make 50 of diffrent components sets when you could form a team and make one? It does not make sense to me that everyone is creating their own set of components with the same basic functions. Maybe you could split the project so that someone is creating the D3D component, some other is creating the directdraw component... etc. It would make lifes of the newbies and other users much easier.

Just my thoughts...

Pexi

Answers, lots of answers:

1. It''s not VCL because it wouldn''t benefit much from that. You have external visual tools for packages, user interfaces, etc. and that''s what you''ll be using most of the time.
If it was VCL, it had to be mostly non-visual components and I don''t really see a point in that.

2. The name is "XCESS Game Development Kit". The website will be http://www.xsdevkit.com

3. I don''t intend to fight a battle with anybody. When I wrote XCESS, the only wrappers that existed were DelphiX, DGC and a few commercial or rather unknown ones. I didn''t like DelphiX mostly because it was (and still is) rather slow and wasted a whole lot of memory. And well, I usually prefer to use my own code because this way it''s easier for me to locate and eliminate bugs.

4. I don''t post on DGDEV... I already read too many forums to keep track of

5. The Direct3D side of XCESS is still very weak, so PowerDraw has a lot of advantages over XCESS. I''ve seen PowerDraw demos and was really impressed (great particle stuff for example).

6. Well, the idea of 50 independent programmers working together on the same project is very romantic, but it hardly ever works like that. I wrote XCESS because I needed a DirectDraw wrapper for a game that I was working on. I wanted to make it real small and it ended up being quite a big project.

Anyway, I don''t have a release date yet, but I guess i''ll just release what I have, write a bunch of demos and manuals and give you the beta. So stay tuned. I''m looking forward to reading more comments and questions.

How complete is the component set?

Does it need bug testing and fixing or is it fully tested?

It needs more than bug-fixing and testing... some of the components have to be completed, others have to be written from the scratch.
The components that are finished have been tested quite throughly.

You may or may not be interested to know that I am also working on a DirectX wrapper. It is called ''Alpha'' (as opposed to ''Omega''), but is nowhere near as complete as any of the others mentioned. Like Harry''s, it is non-VCL -- the main reason I started writing it was because I didn''t want to use the VCL.

Anyway, DGDev is the best site on the net.

quote:
Original post by Useless Hacker
Anyway, DGDev is the best site on the net.

Yep, when it works . It''s broken at the mo - nobody can post anything, it seems. Hopefully BlueCat will be back from his holiday and will fix it in a day or two.

I think the result of everybody making his own component set is because he/she actually starts his project using DirectX headers; making use of DirectX headers without making library is BIG mess (or am I wrong? ) About Pexi''s "unification" idea - well, at least making some forum for graphics component developers would not be that bad... and I don''t use DGDev forums as I don''t use gamedev.net forums much - I hate when there''re A LOT OF different forums... I get lost

I''d be interested. DelphiX needs an update but the alternatives don''t currently have an integrated sound solution, or require external DLLs.

Hey Lifepower

If you do ever come over to DGDev I''m sure we''ve got room for a new PowerDraw forum. We''ve got a few unanswered questions about PowerDraw, just do a search and you''ll see them!

Cheers

DGDev - The Delphi Games Development Community

Greets... I''d appreciate if you could add new PowerDraw forum; I''ve just checked DGDev forums - nice design I''m surprised that some people over there know PowerDraw (PowerDraw "lived" only on Turbo and its forum or so I thought). If you''re willing to add new PowerDraw forum, please let me know by e-mail (lifepower@fromru.com).

- Arcane Lifepower -

"Although the world would call me free
Each day the more her slave am I
For in her very way to be
There''s I don''''t know what, I don''t know why"

Thank you :-)

Even trough I am geting lots of "The page cannot be displayed" trying to browse around on DGDev.. :-(

I know, very frustrating isn''t it. The host is having problems which should be sorted out soon. If not we''re moving

At the time of posting this everything''s OK though.

Cheers

Yes, it is very frustrating.. had to click 3-5 times before I got the page to show.. :-/

Sure hopes its get better!

• Advertisement