• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

riz

general idea behind racing game tracks?

This topic is 5690 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi All, I have been dabbling in real-time 3D graphics and i was wondering about how to go and make a 3D racing game. My question is that, once a track is created (in a 3D editor, for example), how does one go about making the "boundaries" for the race track and scenery. In other words, loading a 3D map into the game is one thing, but how do you represent the track in the program itself? My guess is that you make a 2D matrix, marking where the car can and can''t go, but that seems wasteful and not very efficient. Thanks for your replys, riz

Advertisement
2 arrays os points, one from left side and other for right side. Suposing that your car can't do teletransportation, to get outside the race track it will have to intersect with those lines. So you can get and calculate it.

if you are on a straight line, you can use only 2 points for each side(becuse your race truck can have diferent widths). When you are in a curve, the number of points will depends on the resolution you want.

--------------------------
Rory Gallagher blues will never die.
---------------------------
Que que foi, que que foi, O que eh que hah?

[edited by - manuelb on January 22, 2003 2:54:38 PM]

[edited by - manuelb on January 22, 2003 2:56:59 PM]

Years ago when I did something similar I used an offscreen bitmap as a sort of lookup table. Like a birds eye view of the level. Very fast and simple and you can put different colours on the map for different surfaces, like patches of water.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!