Advanced DirectDraw

Started by
3 comments, last by arwez 23 years, 11 months ago
All the tutorials out there are always about blitting, colorkeys, and palettes. Anyone know how do I start doing the advance stuff that makes today''s ddraw games so great?
Advertisement
Like...?

Most games doesn''t use DirectDraw for all their "fancy" functions, simply because it''s bunches faster to use an ASM alphablitting routine than doing it in DDraw, so what advanced DDraw topics would you like to read about?

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
Anything advance ddraw topic beyond the simple blitting colorkeys etc. I need to know what to learn next.
Hi

But thats what DirectDraw is for, giving you acces to Video Memory, and moving Data around there (and in System Memory if you wan''t too).
The only more advanced Topic is the VideoPort (which i can''t get running, any tips ???) but i don''t think that somebody will use it for games, cause nobody needs realtime Video from an external Camera in a Game (maybe for Internet Games with Video Communication ).
But there aren''t any advanced topics besides that.
Maybe you mean Direct3D ?

Lars
--------> http://www.larswolter.de <---------
Advanced topics for DirectDraw...

Okay, you could look at Alpha Blending, Rotation, DirtyRectangles, maintaining constant motion speed (despite framerates), hrm... Fading to black.

Some of those aren''t DDraw specific, but they give you an idea. Alpha blending is cool - there are several topics out there... but it relies on manipulating bytes, not really DirectDraw.

DirectDraw is the easiest of the DirectX APIs, so if you''ve learned everything there is, don''t be surprised :-)

Clay
Clay LarabieLead DeveloperTacendia.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement