x-files

Started by
4 comments, last by zerorender 21 years, 2 months ago
did someone see the last episode, cuz...haa just kidding my real question is how the x-files(directX file not the tv show)are created, I tried something like this, opened VC++ in VC++ I opened a .3ds file as a binary the just saved it as an x-file, did I do it correctly or is there another(corret)way to do it ...and yes I did also tried in dos and hei! an x-file! thanks in advance!
Advertisement
what you are doing probly wont work
microsoft provides plugins for 3d studio max and maya to export to .x file format.
I think softimage can export .x files.
another 3d model program called milkshape3d also can save .x file format.
im not sure of any others.
Hi,

try to find "conv3ds". It''s freeware I think and it''s just one exe which starts from dos-box with parameters.
I read that it should be part of the dx sdk, but I didn''t found it there.

hth,
:-) Python

You should download the trial version of milkshape, there is an embedded exporter to .x files.
Here''s the link :
http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/

Also, if you want to convert 3ds files you should use the microsoft supplied tool Conv3ds.exe which is downloadable from their web site (where you download the SDK).

Oh, and by the way :
What you are doing is VERY VERY BAD, stop it !
_________ Evious Ltd.
haha :D not every model is in the same format lol, you can''t rename something and it won''t magically turn into something else

you can get conv3ds from the MS site, it works fairly well, i''ve had a few issues with it tho.

i haven''t ever needed to convert 3DS files tho, as milkshape exports wonderfully compatible X files

----------------------------

hey, i know how to use DX8 now! sort of.. well i''ve got the object loading, rotation, positioning, camera, text and lights down... now for input and sound.
_______________________________________________________________________Hoo-rah.
What you''re doing will probably not work, it''s like write with a pen on
a Riva TNT''s GPU "GeForce4"

you''re just changing the extension of the file, the inside of the file
will ALWAYS be the same no matter how many times you change it''s name...

But I know of a program that can ''translate'' 3DS files to X-Files(DX File)
it converts to many more formats, take a look at Deep Exploration

KaMiKaZe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement