• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tutorial on how to program 2D platformers?

This topic is 5598 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m looking for a tutorial on the logic behind a 2D platformer; more specifically, a tutorial on how to determine if and when a character/enemy gets hit with an attack, assuming that the characters & enemies aren''t attacking at all times. Can anyone help me out here?

Advertisement
Objects take space, mostly you just put a square around the object and test if a target point (any point|part of area) is in this square. Then you take it as a hit or if you want pixel perfect, determine if a single pixel has overlapped.

It is hard to give a proper answer because your question is a bit vague on exactly what you want to test.

Yeah, that''s kinda what I figured, but I''ll describe a situation.

Let''s say my main character carries a sword. Suddenly he comes across an enemy with a spear. Now, what I''m trying to figure out is how to get it so that if the main character swings his sword and hits the enemy, the enemy takes damage; but if the hero walks into the enemy, or walks into the enemy as a result of the attack, he takes damage instead.

I know it''s done using rectangles and checking all 4 corners, but if you have to check ALL attack & defense squares EVERY frame, the program will probably experience massive slowdown.

Well you don''t test all the time you first see if there is a reason for testing (such as an attack) if so you then test if there is someone in range and then go on to the actual test. I say someone because of course the enemy can start the attack.
This way you only test when there is a reason to do so and now the performance should suffer very little (depending on how many enemies you have of course)

give the hero class a member variable called something like isAttacking, where 0 = not attacking, 1 = attacking, when you start an attack, set this to 1, and when attack is over set it back to 0.

then do something similar to this

if( Hero.amIAttacking() ) // attacking
{
// check if enemy is within range in correct direction etc.
// if so, call member functions of the enemy
// when you check collision dont forget to use a variable
// for sword length. ie
// int AttackBoundsXA = Hero.GetX()+Hero.GetXWidth;
// int AttackBoundsXB = Hero.GetX()+Hero.GetXWidth +
// Hero.GetSwordLength();
}

else
{
// standard collision detection
// if they collide call appropriate functions
}

Okay, I got that.

Now, how would you store the attack & defense fields of the characters? Obviously, there''s a very good chance the character''s attack field won''t be in the same spot the whole attack. Would you create a linked list of frames, and each frame has the attack & defense areas saved within?

quote:
Original post by Dark Phoenix
Okay, I got that.

Now, how would you store the attack & defense fields of the characters? Obviously, there''s a very good chance the character''s attack field won''t be in the same spot the whole attack. Would you create a linked list of frames, and each frame has the attack & defense areas saved within?

I would suggest you store all information relevant for an object within the class itself. You should also provide a challenge method that other objects can use to challenge eachother with.

for example: A challenges B by calling B.Challenge(reason)
and then the return value decides what happens.

Just an idea but something along those lines would work I think. Then you don''t need to implement a database system or something either since all objects will carry the information with them.

Very simple. Have a single point or multiple points stored for each frame of the sword swing animation. like have one point at the tip, one in the middle etc. Then you just need to check for collision of the point into your characters collision box.

Also if you have your enemies in classes and such, have the enemy check to see if he hit the player. As opposed to the player seeing if the enemy hit him. What I mean is that the enemy will know if it is in attack state and if it is all it needs is the collision box of the player. This is much easier than the player class having to check all enemies and their attack states etc.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!