• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tebriel

Lousy OS?

This topic is 5682 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know WinME is a lousy OS for doing...well, anything...but is there ANY way I can get around having to reboot every time I (ahem) "make a development error" and lock up the system? The entire system doesn''t lock up that often, but on occassion it does, and it''s very annoying when this happens. Usually I can alt-ctrl-del and kill the program if I really need to. I''m doing network programming (TCP/IP)....maybe this is just an issue with the library I''m using. But I have a feeling it happens alot with network programming (not to mention other types of programming). This kind of thing has always been the biggest roadblock for me in learning network programming. (ex-Win95 user, current WinME user, go figure) But how does everyone else get around problems like this? Is using Win2000, NT, or XP the only real solution? (And does THAT even stop this?)

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
NT-based os:es is *the* choice for serious development. Consider ME/9x as a test environment. NT solves this for sure.

Use 2000 or XP. Period. Apart from if you get flaky drivers you should have a rock solid system. And frankly 2000/XP is just plain better in everyway (unless you''re running a P120 with 16MB).

I know Win2K is NT based... I read it as "NT" and somehow missed the "based" part. I guess I was tired and missed that!!

Already answered my next question about XP--I was hoping to hear something like that.

Guest Anonymous Poster
nt 4 -> nt 4
nt 5 -> 2000
nt 6 -> xp pro

Guest Anonymous Poster
The good thing about win98 is that you can do whatever you want with the computer.
The bad thing about win98 is that you can do whatever you want with the computer.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
The good thing about win98 is that you can do whatever you want with the computer.
The bad thing about win98 is that you can do whatever you want with the computer.

Too true

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!