• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trajar

Using operators and STL containers

This topic is 6925 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a class for, which I will need to put into a linked list. This list may get quite large (it hold ALL world obj) and I thought I should use the STL for speed. However, I want to order the items in the list by their Y pos. Using my own linked list, I could overide the + and - operators to check, but with the STL, how do you do these checks to put an item IN A SPECIFIC point in the list? In case your wondering, no I don''t know a lot about STL, and I''m sure there is an stupidly easy way to do this, I am just no familiar with the STL... Thanks in advance Trajar

Advertisement
I don''t know off the top of my head, but you should check out Bjarne Stroustrup''s book "The C++ Programming Language"
He''s the guy who created c++ and the book has just about everything you need to know about c++ and the STL.

I''d use std::lower_bound. std::lower_bound returns the first position where an element can be inserted without violating the order of the list. std::lower_bound returns an iterator to that position, and has the range to search in, the value to find and a function object for comparison as parameters.

Usage:
list<el_type> lst;

struct less : public binary_function<el_type, el_type, bool> {
bool operator()(const el_type &e1, const el_type &e2) { return e1.y < e2.y; }
};

list<el_type>::iterator it = std::lower_bound(lst.begin(), lst.end(), new_el.y, less);

lst.insert(it, new_el);

Hope this helps,

Erik

If you want all of the items in your container sorted, you should probably use something other than a list. It sounds like a map or set might be more appropriate. I''d highly suggest reading up on the net STL tutorials before continuing--STL can be tricky, but it''s very powerful.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!