• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

heightmap texturing techniques

This topic is 5506 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

After finishing my demo I''ve got a pretty good knowledge of the benefits and pitfalls of my method of 3d terrain texturing. I''m curious as to what other techniques there are and which others look good. here is a screenshot of my demo http://www.planetquake.com/tdk/temp/halivale.jpg others at: demo homepage I create the tiles on the fly and then cache them. Pros: Renders terrain in single pass, freeing up fill rate for other things. Quickly and easily texture terrain. Looks pretty good. (in my opinion) Overall terrain quite varied. Adapts to large numbers of textures very well. Quick as long as cache is large enough for the number of textures displayed on screen at once. Cons: Likly impossible to do with LOD terrain rendering. In fact I think they are mutually exclusive. No way to render using triangle strips, because each tile has its own set of texture coordinates. Cache requires a pretty large texture space, and tiles aren''t tremendously detailed. (in my case 30x30 texels per tile, 1024x1024 pixel cache) Each texture tends to be a little repetative by itself. For majority of terrain textures in one of 8 directions. (ie no slow curve without making a specific texture for it)

Advertisement
You might want to have a look at Thatcher Ulrich''s ChunkLod, he uses a texture quadtree. www.tulrich.com -> geekstuff
Sourcecode is at www.sf.net/projects/tu-testbed
- Stephan.

OpenMountains | Open source snowboard simulation - some day.

• Advertisement