• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RavNaz

acceptable dress code for interview

This topic is 5571 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

[Question for Interviewers] What kind of dress code do you find acceptable for interviews for coding positions [Question for interviewees] What kind of dress code do you guyz adopt when going to an interview?

Advertisement
Smart but casual. No point in me looking really sharp if i feel uncomfortable and make an ass of myself as a result, i''m good enough at doing that without any extra help.

I wouldn''t be too worried about it... when I am interviewing, I certainly don''t pay any attention to what someone is wearing. When I go to interviews I usually wear the same thing I am going to wear on the job -- blue jeans and a decent shirt. Avoid wearing your "Corporate Whore" T-shirt, or your marijuana logo shirt.

This isn''t even worth thinking about really... go back to practicing your whiteboard skills!

For game companies, business casual (polo and slacks) usually for any position. Overdressing is looked down on...it shows that you didn''t check into the company before interviewing.

For other companies, check with the company. Usually, if you ask the HR person who sets up the interview, they''ll tell you.

RomSteady - Test Locally, Test Globally, Test Early, Test Often

You guys have got to be kidding. I wore a $500 dollar suit to my last interview and the guy after me was wearing khakis a wrinkled shirt and a tie. Guess What? I got the job, he didn't.

The Job Market is like a shark tank, especially now. If you want the job, be prepared to play hardball; because there are lots of guys like me are out there who will make you look like a fool by default.

EDIT: my job interview wasn't at a game company but a business/financial software place.

[edited by - nonnus29 on January 22, 2003 9:39:16 PM]

A lot of companies are laid-back. They realize that the product is the bottom line, not whether people look professional or not. Software hiring is not about dresscode, it''s about what you know.

That said, there are still tightwads that actually care about that sort of thing... I guess it''s because you took the time to think about looking good or some BS.

-- Take it with a grain of salt! --

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!