• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ND

help help help!!!!!!

This topic is 5685 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know general progamming and I''m ready to game programming, but I have a few questions. Should I do 2D or 3D. If 2D what tools should I use? Is there any newbie group that I can join?

Advertisement
Depends on what you''re ready for. I would personally start with learning a GUI first though like DirectX and/or OpenGL. Then 2D, then 3D. The order doesn''t really matter much and differ much except for in 3D, there''s going to be some SERIOUS math.

tcache
Contact Me
-----------
AH! MY BRAIN IS GOING TO SELF-DETONATE! -- Yours Truly (Jan, 2003)

If you''re just starting in game dev. then I''d say start out simple with 2D. Starting with something like Pong, moving up to Tetris, and then to a side-scroller like Super Mario Bros.

If by tools you mean an already finished/partially finished engine that you want to create games on I''d do a search on Sourceforge. If thats not what you mean by tools then a compiler and Photoshop (to create your sprites). Then you can decide whether to use DirectX, OpenGL, or Windows GDI to create your game with. Take a look at the tutorials here on GameDev.net for a variety of topics, NeHe for OpenGL topics, and of course your best friend Google

What about learning tools,such as online books,source code web sites,tutorials,ect.
Thanks alot guys and gals!

>Online Books
Personally, I don''t prefere think you should use online books if you can afford raw paper ones. One less task running, (^_^) and you can do whatever with them. The closest thing I have right now is chm (complied html files) of the Allegro Documentation and misc HTML/CSS/javascript references.

>Tutorials
Gamedev.net is already a great place, Allegro.cc is another great one and obviously Gametutorials.com.
Sidenote: Allegro.cc is as expected more devoted to game programming with allegro. The absolute best game programming library. And it''s almost (if not completely) platform independent.

>Sourcecode
Will sourcecode help you...it''s really an iffy subject because you often have to put time into figuring out what the heck people were trying to accomplish. Very few people code well structured programs. Games are the highlight of that syndrome. Also, it''s a really bad thing to pick up a mistake that some other coder used, which newcomers are prone to do.

That aside, Programmers Heaven has a few:
"http://www.programmersheaven.com/zone8/mh82.htm"

Do a google search for "Game Source Code", and you should come up with more then a few good results. (and yes, I intentionally left the punctuation outside of the quotation marks. lol)

These are all just my thoughts. Some people may disargree with my thoughts, and I welcome them.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!