• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

youngo

how do you store 3d models?

This topic is 6920 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

how do you store 3d models in files?? where can i find out more info about this?

Advertisement
Uh, most 3d modeling programs have a "save" function. Aside from by sarcasm (even though my answer is simply true), 3d models are merely an array of 2 by 3 matrices...data which actually could be stored in a plain ASCII text file. Even as you add textures and surface colorization for a polygon formed by 3 or more matrices, this data can merely be added as a property of each matrix element in the central and governing array. Hope that wasn't too much info, but that really is how 3d models are stored by programs like Rhinoceros, 3DSMAX, etc., perhaps with more organization for efficiency.

Edited by - bacteriophage on May 10, 2000 1:22:07 AM

what are the 2 by 3 matrices for?

quote:
Original post by bacteriophage

3d models are merely an array of 2 by 3 matrices...

1:22:07 AM

Guest Anonymous Poster

how do you store 3d models in files??
where can i find out more info about this?

are you talking about 3d file types for the purposes of parsing? or for storing in a different file format so that players can''t jack around with the models?

a2k

for storing in a different file format so that players can''t jack around with the models

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!