Saving buffer info

Started by
7 comments, last by jkettles16 21 years, 2 months ago
Does anyone know how to save and recall both depth and color buffer infomation? I need to be able to save a part of a sence and recall it at any time without losing it. jkettles16 of Venosoft "Life is a double edged sword, we always hope to strike though adversity with the shining side..." jkettles16 of Venosoft
"Life is a double edged sword, we always hope to strike though adversity with the shining side..."jkettles16 of Venosoft
Advertisement
glReadPixels.
but note that it''s very very very, VERY, VERY,

VERY

slow.

| - Project-X - my mega project.. big things comming soon - | - adDeath - an ad blocker I made - | - email me - |
I thought glReadPixels only saved color buffer info? That still leaves me without a way to save the depth buffer. My main problem is I''m running the program on a computer with low specs, and I really want to cut out as much ploygon drawing as possible, but I can''t seem to think of any other ways to optimize the program further. My idea was to draw the major stuff that never needs to be updated once and keep track of it''s color and depth info for every subsequent frame. When I need the info I could do a quick buffer copy or something. I thought display lists for a moment but they have to excute those commands for drawing as well and they only do it maybe a slight bit faster, but not nearly fast enough. There must be some way to quick save and load full framebuffer info...

"Life is a double edged sword, we always hope to strike though adversity with the shining side..."

jkettles16 of Venosoft
"Life is a double edged sword, we always hope to strike though adversity with the shining side..."jkettles16 of Venosoft
That probably would slow your program down further, there are no quick buffer reads or writes in OpenGL.
"...."
quote:Original post by RipTorn
glReadPixels.
but note that it''s very very very, VERY, VERY ,

VERY

slow.

| - Project-X - my mega project.. big things comming soon - | - adDeath - an ad blocker I made - | - email me - |

Hmmm... could you be just a liiitle bit more specific - just how slow?

Crispy

PS - don''t bother answering this post - I rather enjoyed counting your very''s
"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
quote:Original post by Crispy
Hmmm... could you be just a liiitle bit more specific - just how slow?

it''s

slow.

k?

quote:Original post by RipTorn
Original post by Crispy
Hmmm… could you be just a liiitle bit more specific - just how slow?

it''s

slow.

k?

Dammit - that''s a tad too slow… You sure absolutely about that?

Crispy
"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
Ok, that was just obnoxiuos. Anyways, you can use glReadPixels to grab detph buffer data also I beleive.
just a thought ...you could try using display lists for the part of the scene that doesnt need to be rendered more then once....though I''m not sure of the increase/decrease in speed compared to a glReadPixels aproach

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement