• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Christiaan

Isometric hexes?

This topic is 6921 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hiya reader, does someone have experience or know if it''s possible to use hexes to create an isomtric view. as far as I know hexes are only used for top view, and I''m making an engine that is going to use both diamond shaped cells and hexes. and it would look a bit weird if one moment the view is in a 45, 45 angle and the other moment a top view. for anyone that is interrested in why use both hexes and diamond cell''s I''ve just decided to make a game based more or less on FASA''s Battletech and in the table-top version they use both hexes and square cells so that''s why the question well I hope one reader has an idea chris

Advertisement
Hi Christiaan,
It is possible to render iso-hexes. Take a look at some of the games a company named TalonSoft have done. I have never attempted this type of engine but have an ideal that the coordinate system would be murderous
Here is a link that may help....
http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~amitp/gameprog.html
Scroll down to Tile Based Games and Hexagonal Grids...

David "Dak Lozar" Loeser

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!