• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IllMind

[java] Delivering the JRE to the end-user

This topic is 5749 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Ive created a little java app at http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markmc40/JavaPage/Index.html It isn''t much but i''ve wanted to show it to friends, but it seems none of them have the JRE installed. To remedy this I''ve included a link to the JRE download page at Sun along with a message explaining the problem. However they are still reluctant to go to the page and the ones who barely know how to use a computer probably will have trouble just figuring out what file they need to download. Basicly I am wondering if there is anyway to have a window pop-up allowing them to download the JRE. I believe i have seen popup messages for Flash saying something like ''To properly view this page you need to install blah blah blah'' and you click on the ok button and the download/installation occurs. Is there any similar deal for Java?? If not what have you done/written on your page for those who dont have the JRE on their machine?? Thanks!

Advertisement
Hi,

use the %java_install_dir%\bin\HtmlConverter.exe (or equivalent executable for linux) to convert your applet links in the pages. This inserts the object tag into the page, that tries to run your applet in the plugin and tries to install the JRE automatically if it is not already installed.

Try it out.

P.S.: If you don''t want to distribute your game as an applet you might try Java Web start.

have fun ...

Petr Stedry

Hey, that sounds like just what i am looking for, but its late and Ill need to play with it tommorrow. But just for clarification I am developing everything in Winxp so I guess ill use the HtmlConverter.exe, but what does it do? I plan on keeping the program as an applet and i want all OS''s to beable to run it (Linux and Windows). What am I going to be ''converting''?? You said "to convert your applet links in the pages", does this mean the main class file the the webpage is using in its applet tag or the html file itself(as the program''s name suggests)??

Thanks! Ill give it a go in the morning!

Hi,

I think, that I clarify the issue best with this quote:
quote:
JavaTM Plug-in HTML Converter is a utility allowing you to convert any
HTML page (file) containing applets to a format that will use the
JavaTM Plug-in.

It''s taken directly from the program''s (HtmlConverter) online help.

Well, you''re free to try it. It''s a shame that most of the applet developers fall back to using outdated 1.1 code instead of using HtmlConverter to allow users to upgrade their java plug-in most easily.

have fun ...

Petr Stedry

Hopefully you won't have to worry about this much longer. Sun won a court case against Microsoft, the judge ordered Microsoft to put Sun's JRE in all installations of windows and gave them 120 days! It will be included in the next service pack.

Mircrosoft will appeal, with any luck your problem will be solved soon.

[edited by - bslayerw on January 23, 2003 4:47:41 PM]

"Sun won a court case against Microsoft, the judge ordered Microsoft to put Sun''s JRE in all installations of windows"

Yeah, but I still have to deal with users of other operating systems and those who for some reason dont have the runtime (commercial games always include DirectX even though its included in Windows)...

Anyways, I converted my html page with the program in the java bin directory and uploaded it to my webpage. I then proceded uninstalling Java, but when i tried to test it, I encountered some problems (class not loaded, but they WERE there) instead of receiving the pop-up I expected. Im sure it was my fault, so Ill have to play with it some more. I used the ''extended'' template for conversion (standard + all browsers and platforms), but im unsure if maybe i should have just used the ''standard'' (IE & Navigator for Windows and Solaris). Im fairly new to Linux, so I hope this isnt a stupid question, but Solaris isn''t a Linux distribution is it? To support Linux users should I use the extended template?

Thanks! Back to testing....

users of other operation systems will almost all have Java installed, especially Solaris! Solaris is Sun''s Unix flavored OS. MacOS X has Java installed already as does most distributions of Linux. And no Solaris is not a linux distro.

Last time I checked, most distros, including RedHat and Mandrake don''t ship with the JRE at all. That''s thanks to Sun''s licensing of the JRE.

They do ship a slightly out of date JRE, but that only comes with the commercial packages, not with the .iso that you download.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!