• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dx7 to dx8 porting easy?

This topic is 5506 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im linking with directx 8.1, but all my calls are still based off od directx 7. My question: If i changed everything dx7 to dx8.1, would this theoretically work? or is directx 8.1 structurely different???

Advertisement
I''ve never tried it, but the major changes between 7 and 8 (e.g the nonexistence of directdraw) would make it a bit difficult.

Assuming you''re talking about Direct3D here (the rest is much simpler since it hasn''t changed as much):

The whole enumeration and setup in DirectX 8 is much easier and cleaner. So ALL the enumeration and setup needs ripping out and rewriting - we found DX8 took roughly a quarter of the code and simplified other things.

As mentioned above all the DirectDraw stuff is gone - if you do any DirectDraw blit type stuff in the same frame as D3D stuff (which was a baaad thing to do even in DX7 in some cases), then that''ll have to be re-written.

Your flip chain/blt chain stuff needs re-doing.
Your texture creation stuff needs re-doing to an extent.

A better idea is probably to look at what you can keep and then re-write all the surrounding parts. The majority of your renderstates, texture stage state, vertex buffer create, draw*primitive, settexture etc calls should be pretty trivial to port.

A good place to look is in the docs under the "what''s changed in the API" topic and see how many of those things you''ll need to change.

Personally I''d re-write, and port just the core rendering calls, then even re-evaluate those to see how shaders can help.

My goodness...this i kind of over my head.
I''ve been using dx7 for the past couple of projects - basically using the same skeleton project.
I''ll definitely check out the "whats changed" in dx8 API doc.
hopefully it will help a lot!

my project is D3D, and im not using any directdraw calls, i think (i am running in windowed mode).

And i certainly wouldnt mind the quarter of the code thing when/if i switch to dx8 calls.

My goodness...this i kind of over my head.
I''ve been using dx7 for the past couple of projects - basically using the same skeleton project.
I''ll definitely check out the "whats changed" in dx8 API doc.
hopefully it will help a lot!

my project is D3D, and im not using any directdraw calls, i think (i am running in windowed mode).

And i certainly wouldnt mind the quarter of the code thing when/if i switch to dx8 calls.

• Advertisement