• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chezsake

How to make an explosion that looks REAL ?

This topic is 5801 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m wondring about how to make an explosion in 3d and make it real. I''m writing a game that player places bombs in tunnels, so I want to make explosions that looks like fire runs in the tunnel... Does anyone know how I''m gonna do it?

Advertisement
There''s a couple of different ways you can go about doing this. First of all you need to remember that the more ''realsitic'' you''re going for, the more complicated and computationally intense it will be to make a explosion of fire.

Examples:
Quake2 used a model that was partially see-through and followed it''s explosion animation. This didn''t look that good and can kill those precious fps when >20 were shown (hey I only had a cyrix back then).

The Halflife engine was more advanced by using sprites (I''m sure there''s a stack of sprite tuts on gamedev but I''m too busy to go looking).

Then there''s the possibility of using shader programs if your card supports it. But perhaps aiming lowish for now and looking into creating a sprite-based explosion.

the easiest way would probably be to billboard a texture animation of an explosion. then add some particle effects.

My Homepage
Freeservers.com sucks. Angelfire.lycos.com is cool.

And depending on what kind of explosion you are doing, don''t forget you could have a shockwave (Simply a textured quad that grows in size and fades out)

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!