• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zebrakorn

Manipulating Isometric Tiled Maps

This topic is 6924 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m developing a game with some friends and we''re at the stage of thinking of what we want to accomplish before touching a keyboard. We know we''ll want an isometric map for movement of units etc. How difficult is it to fully rotate an isometric map so that it can be seen from all angles?

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by zebrakorn

I''m developing a game with some friends and we''re at the stage of thinking of what we want to accomplish before touching a keyboard. We know we''ll want an isometric map for movement of units etc. How difficult is it to fully rotate an isometric map so that it can be seen from all angles?

You can''t _fully_ rotate an isometric map since the isometric technique is primarily for 2D planes. You''ll be needing a 3D plane if you want to do big rotations, in that case forget isometric and think matrix modeling......

Hmmm. Well, I have given this some thought and have concluded that the only way you can do this with 2d iso tiles would be to have different sets of tiles.
If you look at Roller Coaster Tycoon by Chris Sawyer you will see this. I think thats how he pulled off the rotating views. If someone knows different I would be glad to hear from you.
Aside from that, true 3d would be the prefered method. In fact I read some place that a true 3d engine doing iso is easier to work with than a 2d engine simuulating 3d

David "Dak Lozar" Loeser

Using 3D to do iso does seem to be popular these days and thats currently the way I do it. In such a fashion all you have to do then is the neccessary transforms of your objects in 3D. I would guess such a task in 2d would really be difficult.

Sieggy

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!