• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

directx lighting

This topic is 5511 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi!, Im really new to the directX community and I was wondering if someone could give me a hint about how to do lighting. Currently I have a program that generates terrain and puts a texture over it, I can adjust the levels of lighting, but there is no shadow around the tops of peaks, and it always looks the same no matter what angle you look at it. Any sugestions? Thanks! Ben

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
there is a lighting tutorial in the directx sdk.

direct3d lighting will not produce shadows.
I think it should just like in 3d studio max it makes shadows automatically when you put in a light.

Do mean that the back side is not dark at the top of the peak like it should be? If you do, you may need to adjust the normal vector at the vertex or vertices that form the peak. If the vertex is for both a front face and a back face, and the normal is and average between the two, then it may not look right. To may need to point that vertex normal away from the light some more. This only applies if you are lighting per vertex. IF you are lighting per face, then I have no idea what''s wrong. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement