• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MSVC++6.0 Freaky problem

This topic is 5508 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, this is FREAKY. Today, when I went to compile my application, a message pops up saying "Cannot compile C:\Iforgot\Whoknows\Main.h"; no compile tool associated with this file type" What the!? Ok, no problem, I try another project. Guess what? Same thing. Ok, still no problem. I look through the folders to see if I might could find a settings file that would direct me on how to change it. Nope. I checked the registry. Ok, CL.exe compiles .c,.cpp,.cxx files. Nothing about header files. After a few more tries, I modify the registry key to .c,.cpp,.cxx,.h,.hxx. After I restart the computer, it works, now only one problem. When I compile main.h, the output window displays main.cpp(!). The a message appears saying main.cpp and main.h both have main.obj, and the linker cannot continue. Fine, I reinstall the compile tools. Doesn''t work. I then proceed to reinstall the entire developer studio. Still no solution. I checked back on the registry keys, and they were back to the way they were before I messed them up. So, has ANYONE seen this before? If so, how the crap did you fix it? It is really hard to make programs without header files ya know. En taro Adun! Doom to all who threaten the homeworld! *Protoss Zealot - Starcraft*

Advertisement
quote:
Cannot compile C:\Iforgot\Whoknows\Main.h

This message is displayed whenever you try to compile a header file. MSVC doesn''t - directly - compile header files. You can say that it just compiles them when included in cpp/c files.

Did this error message pop up when you pressed "build" ( F7 ) or when you tried to compile a header file?
If it''s the latter, then you shouldn''t compile header files.

You know, it may be possible that what you said is the answer. I believe I did try to compile the header file alone (testing some syntax). I can''t believe that was the problem. Although, I don''t recall that happening in the past...

Well, I hope it works.
Thanks!

En taro Adun!
Doom to all who threaten the homeworld!
*Protoss Zealot - Starcraft*

• Advertisement