Mouse Problems with some Examples (In Jim Adams' Book)

Started by
6 comments, last by GroZZleR 21 years, 2 months ago
Hey, I appear to be having mouse problems with "Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX". I''m not quite sure WHAT the problem is however. In example 18 (The Battle) and example 20 (the game), my mouse doesn''t appear to want to target / highlight / do anything. In Example 18, when my "Attack" or "Spell" options come up, clicking on them don''t do anything. And then I can''t click on any of the monsters either, so thats no good. And in Example 20, the game, during the first sequence with all the text, I _CAN_ click through that... But once combat begins, I can''t seem to attack the creature. I can walk around with the arrow-keys, but I can''t seem to click and attack the creature. I''ve looked at the source code, and it APPEARS that you''re supposed to use your mouse (I could be completely wrong and stupid). I haven''t really started reading the book, just playing around with the examples. Anyone know what could be causing this or whats wrong? DirectX 8.1 is installed and works with other things (like Isometric Game Programming examples and any games that use DirectX).
Advertisement
quote:Original post by GroZZleR
I haven''t really started reading the book, ...

That would be a good place to start.

Not exactly sure what you mean by that.

In Chapter 16, theres that demo where you walk around and attack some creatures and talk to others and such. You use spacebar to attack.

In Chapter 18, it says:
"Battle. A 3-D combat engine demo. Click the target creatures; then wait for the battle options to appear and select how to attack."

Well it doesn't appear to work when clicking with my mouse... So something is obviously up and I'm curious as to what the problem could be.

Theres no point going in-depth into a book, when I have a basic Mouse problem from the get-go. Is there?

[edited by - GroZZleR on January 23, 2003 5:32:51 PM]
If you are not going to get "in-depth" in the book then you might want to send it to me so I can

Have you checked the book or authors sight for fixes? maybe there is a bug and if so someone else would have found it too, contacted the publisher or author and possible posted a fix on their site.

You could also, get in-depth with the book and find out why it''s not doing what you think it should be doing. RTFM.
quote:Original post by bslayerw
If you are not going to get "in-depth" in the book then you might want to send it to me so I can

Have you checked the book or authors sight for fixes? maybe there is a bug and if so someone else would have found it too, contacted the publisher or author and possible posted a fix on their site.

You could also, get in-depth with the book and find out why it''s not doing what you think it should be doing. RTFM.

Or, in this case, RTFB!
I did find the solution on Jim Adams' page. I was using DirectX 8.1 and the source was all done in DirectX 8.0. There are apparently some problems with "clicking on meshes" (as the source / method has changed).

Its all cleared up now.

And WTF is your problem exactly Dave? I'm so sorry that my DirectX 8.1 SDK was conflicting with the DirectX 8.0 code. Why do you have to be so hostile to someone who has a problem?

[edited by - GroZZleR on January 23, 2003 7:54:05 PM]
My point was that if you read the book, you might actually have an understanding of what the code was doing and be better able to find the problem.

Starting with an example from chapter 16 or 18 without having read chapters 1-18 seems kind of counter productive to me.

As to being hostile, that was not my intention. I think if you read my other posts here, you will find that I am not a hostile individual.
Jim didn''t use the mouse much in the book. I have many questions about 3D coords and mouse after reading the book.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement