• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grizwald

Renderer *Behavior*

This topic is 5749 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m in the process of creating a renderer for my engine, and i was wondering what behaviors or traits a renderer would have. These traits or behaviors wouldn''t be in a renderer class, but would be given as template arguments to another game object, lets say a mesh: CMesh Monster blah blah Some things i''ve though up: an API trait - does it use OpenGL or D3D? a style behavior - line, point, fill (maybe non-photorealistic?) a texture mode behavior - anisotropic, bilinear, nearest point Thanks for the input, i''m a little stuck. I''ve been scribbling these for days in study hall :D

Advertisement
I don''t consider template arguments as a good solution for this.
The reason is, that you cannot change template parameters at run-time which would create a pretty rigid model for your renderer.

OGL and D3D both use states to modify the rendering behavior, so your 3d object classes should do it in a similar way.

To complete your behavior list,take a look at the available options for the APIs.

BTW. an API trait isn''t useful at all, since only one API can be used at a time and the renderer core has to be different for each API.
An abstract renderer base-class however, is a nice idea.

You could also add fancy things like shaders, lighting model,
shadow casting method, transparency, ...

Guest Anonymous Poster
The APIs would be derived from a common interface that i have written. I''m just expiramenting here thanks for the suggestions though

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!