C String Manipulation

Started by
11 comments, last by clueless_programmer 21 years, 2 months ago
Sigh...
quote:Original post by Raduprv
And when I say there is something wrong with this forum software, maybe I DO know what I am saying?
Nope. This forum, which allows html, isn''t going to go out of its way to figure out whether to interpret your post as plain text or html. If you want a < symbol (outside of [code] or [source] tags), you do it the html way: either put a whitespace character after it, or type &lt; instead. But using [code] / [source] is usually better for posting code.
Also, using 3 ''?'' characters doesn''t mean my keyboard is stucked...
sarcasm
A lot of people find it acceptable.
A lot of people don''t.

I don''t like to sound rude, but you seem to be making way too many assumptions.
Advertisement
"A lot of people don''t."

aaaaand last time i looked you''re (1) not the mod (2) not god and (3) in no position to judge anyone else.

accept other people for who they are and how they write. it''s part of life.

----------------------------

hey, i know how to use DX8 now! sort of.. well i''ve got the object loading, rotation, positioning, camera, text and lights down... now for input and sound.
_______________________________________________________________________Hoo-rah.
CP, a char* is the essence of a C string. In C, a string nothing more than an array of characters, with a terminating null delimiter on the end (if it''s well-formed). So there''s no conversion from a char* to a C string, a char* is a C string.

I don''t know why strcat returns a pointer to the first string. Several C string functions behave this way (atoi comes to mind). I wish they behaved like printf, and returned the number of characters written. Few C functions allocate memory and return it. It''s also regarded as poor design to do so because of the ambiguity over who owns the memory, and who is responsible for deallocating.

I think being polite is more important that perfect grammar. Three question marks won''t motivate me to edit a post like all caps does - thirty questions marks might though.

Please focus on the technical issues, and take the offhanded criticism in stride (ignore them if they bother you).

When an issue rest on solid facts, you ought to take a moment to verify yourself before posting. If you are not certain, please make this clear in the post.

quote:
accept other people for who they are and how they write. it''s part of life.

This is a tenuous position to take. If the writer will not take the time to write effectively, why should the many-fold readers take the time to read and perhaps respond?
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement