• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

directX8 / directX9

This topic is 5597 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi, I am learning directx8. I would like to know if directX9 is very different or not and if I should learn directX9. The tutorials provided with Directx8 sdk are quite interresting. I don''t know if there is the same kind of tutorials with directx9. thank you!! zip7000

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
From what I''ve used so far the only differences seem to be putting a 9 rather than an 8 when you create the Direct3D devices and objects. DirectX 9 still uses DirectX 8 for input. Not sure about other area yet, haven''t gone too far in.

The main differences seem to be extra things added rather than old things majorly changed.

Optimization. I don''t know how, but my frame rate doubled when rendering my game. I just recompiled with dx9 and it went from 35 to 70fps. Its not all applications I tried that showed better results or the same kind of progress, but to date its worth it.

Also the sample/tutorial are better presented, its an improvement with that too.

Frankski

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!