• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ed C

Bad Input (C++)

This topic is 5773 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In my program the user has to input a char, and then my program processes it. If they input a string in said my program goes wrong. How can i stop this. PS I am using std::cin to get the char from the user.

Advertisement
You can cin a string, and then check if the length is more than one. Otherwise proceed as planned.

...err... I'm still not sure what you mean. (Did I got it correct?) Pls clarify more.

[edited by - DerekSaw on January 24, 2003 4:41:33 AM]

That''s the right idea, but i''m sure there''s a better way than having cin a string. It seems like a waste of memory if there is a better way

After the read...

if(!std::cin)
{
// User is a moron
}
else
{
// User isn''t quite a moron
}

You get the picture

Just to expand on what Zipster was saying, the user being a moron puts the stream into a "fail" state which needs to be cleared before input can continue. check out the iostream documentation for more details. Zipster''s code invokes the implicit void* conversion operator on cin, which returns NULL if the stream is in a fail state.

Don''t listen to me. I''ve had too much coffee.

#include "conio.h"

void main() //Or whatever your functions called
{
int myInput = getch();//Reads one character from the keyboard
//Now myInput holds the ASCII code for that character
if (myInput==13) //ASCII-value 13 which means [ENTER]
//[do_something]
}

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!