Delphi and Games

Started by
6 comments, last by REM2000 23 years, 11 months ago
Hi all has anyone used Delphi 4/5 for Games development. Im thinking of 3D gaming FPS (Using software, Directx and OpenGL) Also 2D side platform sort of stuff Thanx 4 any help
Advertisement
I don''t have anything finished anything yet, but I''m working on some stuff in Delphi, and it''s working out very well. Two places you should go to get started:

First, the Delphi Graphics Site, which has headers and some examples for DirectX 7 and OpenGL 1.2 in Delphi.

http://www.delphi-jedi.org/DelphiGraphics/jedi-index.htm

Next, NeHe Productions, which has some *excellent* OpenGL tutorials. There are 20 tutorials there, starting with basic OpenGL setup and moving through 3D geometry, textures, fonts, display lists, particle systems, etc, etc. It''s all very easy to follow and all of the tutorial code is available for Delphi (among many other languages and platforms).

http://www.gamedev.net/hosted/nehe/
If u don''t mind me asking what sort of stuff are u working on. generally FPS?
Hi,
I’m writing an OpenGL 3d engine in Delphi 5. Haven’t finished it yet though.
By the way, the BEST page for Delphi and OpenGl is :
http://www.gamedeveloper.org/delphi3d

have fun,
Pascalix
Pascalix;
Pascalix, THANK YOU!!! I''ve been looking for that damn site for weeks. I happened upon it once at work but didn''t bookmark it, and my history gets wiped when I shut down. I think Nehe''s stuff is the best place to get started still, then that page you mentioned is a good place to go once you''ve got a handle on the basics.

rem2000 - I haven''t done any FPS stuff. I''ve basically just worked on learning OpenGL with simple demos and stuff while I''m still in the design stage on two game ideas (haven''t decided which one to commit to yet). In the meantime, I''m still experimenting with a basic OpenGL framework. I''m working on something that can allow you to use the same code for editing tools and for the in-game rendering. It''s two projects that include many of the same files (for rendering code), one of them uses the VCL and renders to a child window for editing tools, and the other doesn''t use the VCL at all and renders to a fullscreen window.
Some books I have run across that might be of interest to you:

Delphi Developer''s Guide to OpenGL
ISBN: 1556226578

Delphi Graphics and Game Programming Exposed
ISBN: 1556226373

I have the Delphi Developer''s Guide to OpenGL, and it''s pretty good. I just looked up both books on Amazon.com - the Exposed book got unanimously slammed in the reader comments, but the Developer''s Guide got some good feedback, including this from a guy who bought both:

"This book is *by far* the better of the two books. It beats Ayres'' book hands down. Where Ayres sticks to simple 2D sprite strawmen, this book gets into true, real-world examples -- the kinds of things you''d see in modern games."
Thanx alot for all ur help i didn''t think there was much support for delphi games, but i''ve followed the webs sites and found a lot of good stuff.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement