• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sponge99

Wolf3d and Movement/storage

This topic is 6925 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I recently downloaded the Wolf3d source, in hopes of learning a little about the 2d/3d games that were once so popular. I then realized that the maps are mad of 64x64 arrays, each a "block", but that you can move smoothly, pixel by pixel. How is this possible? It has only 4096 positions to move to, but you can actually move anywhere? It''s blowing my mind!!! I''d like to know how its done. Yeah, I could learn on my own, but I like complaining to ya'll better.

Advertisement
The player''s position is not which block he is in. The player''s position is in pixel space, if you can call it that. The 64x64 arrays are only for the blocks that make up the world. The players coordinates are relative to pixels not blocks.

*** Triality ***

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!