• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RoosterJM

How important are GREAT grpahics?

This topic is 6916 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, for everyone here...based on your very own opinions...would you rather have : a) A game with AWESOME graphics and sub-standard gameplay b) A game with AWESOME gameplay and sub-standard grpahics My opinon: I think b would be more my taste...i love good graphics, but some games are just awesome to play no matter what. Case-in-point, SODA offroad racing by papyrus...the graphics were not all that great, but the physics were so realistic it took me about 3 months to really learn how to drive them.... But then a can be good too...Nascar3, also by papyrus (im a racenut) is running off of an older physics engine, it was a good engine, but the same they used in Nascar2, just tweaked...but they gave the players a whole lot of Additional graphics stuff (eyecandy) So im torn....i just cant figure it out... Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining? -George Wallace To make mistakes is human; to stumble is commonplace; to be able to laugh at yourself is maturity. -William Arthur Ward

Advertisement
I definetly would choose B
I think most people that are really into games appreciate gameplay foremost, but commercially graphics seem to be unfortunately important. I think it''s the same thing that happens in every artistic medium. The same thing happens w/ movies. There''s tons of movies with great special effects, but no content. People that aren''t hard-core movie fans, just want a lot of pretty effects. I think the same thing happens with games. The average moderate gamer just wants a bunch of flashy graphics a lot of the time.

Guest Anonymous Poster
RoosterJM: "My opinon:"

I''ll take B anyday. If the game plays great, no matter how sub standard the graphic is people will play it. At least I will.

-------------------------
-Now Working on Pokemon like Engine!

Hmmm... slight problem here...

While everyone SAYS that they prefer great gameplay, and while that''s probably true, the fact is that people will look at a screenshot of your game and say: "That SUCKS"

They will read your comments saying "Well I tried to focus more on gameplay rather than flashy graphics" and think to themselves "yeah it''s probably some crap retro game or something that everyone''s raving over"

People will only play games with substandard graphics if they KNOW that it has good gameplay, ie. if a friend told them or the entire internet is raving over it.

Bear in mind that this is just my opinion, (and actual developers are probably different from the consumers I am discussing here), but that''s what I think.

wiseGuy

Good gameplay with good gfx and godd sfx and goog music...

See Ubisoft games, like Rayman2 and you''ll know what I mean.

Just my opinion.

(Good gfx and great gameplay is best to me)

-* Sounds, music and story makes the difference between good and great games *-

I think it''s a bad question, it''s like asking:

Would you rather play
A: A goodlooking game that''s so bad it makes you throw up.
B: Some other game.

If there''s no gameplay, there''s no game...
And anyway, if the graphics are "substandard" ( i.e., not up to the job ), chances are the gameplay isn''t too nifty either, since they obviously didn''t think it important enough to invest more time in presentation.

#pragma DWIM // Do What I Mean!
~ Mad Keith ~
**I use Software Mode**

B, anyday. Case in point: Hack, Larn, Moria, Omega. Those were responsible for weeks of lost time. *sheepish grin*

--== Rapier ==--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Save the whales, feed the hungry, free the mallocs!

I think everyone would prefer B, but they just don''t know what is an ''A'' game and a ''B'' game when they choose... They often have to judge the quality of the game by the packaging, and although you can describe gameplay, you can''t really get a feel for it until you play it. But you can clearly show how good your graphics are.

A + B = Great Game
But i''ll have to say B because i still play Total Annihilation sometimes and the graphics are soooo bad

+AA_970+

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!