How important are GREAT grpahics?

Started by
24 comments, last by RoosterJM 23 years, 11 months ago
B of course, but A is important, too. A + B = "X - Beyond the frontier" by Egosoft/THQ The gameplay is really kewl!
Did you play it?
Advertisement
I forgot to mention sth: Look at the Demo, that comes with the Matrox Millenium G400 - isn''t that eyecandy. I launched the program once and deleted it after 5 mins.
RoosterJM,

Just like everyone else is saying, you''re looking at the game from
a consumer''s perspective, not the seller''s perspective. Everything
is about money (well almost), and if they sell the game off the shelf
because the box has flashy graphics on it, they have accomplished their
objective, end of story. Sometimes, it has nothing to do with the game
itself. They want you to buy their game instead of their competitor''s
game which is probably sitting right next to it on the shelf.

It''s all about marketing, my friend.
Isn''t consumer''s opinions kind of important to marketing? I had always assumed so.

Besides, you can sell a flashy cool looking box without a single screen shot on it.

E:cb woof!
E:cb woof!
I still play TMNT 4 on SNES because it''s just plain fun! Especially two-player...

I think the music and especially sound effects have to be good, but I don''t play games for their graphics (unless I liked a game and am buying a sequel for the same gameplay). I would always value game-play over graphics, but why not both? Were not the greatest games also the best-looking (for their time)?

- null_pointer
Sabre Multimedia
Something I heard a while ago and am doing now...

When you develop your first prototype, use stick figures and nasty graphics (hehe, programmer art). If you play the game constantly regardless of the horrid matching of pink and green warships versus the black and yellow enemy... it''s a good game.

IMHO, I''d most definitely choose B. Graphics are nice, but graphics don''t entertain. Gameplay entertains. I guess the same could be said for sound. Ha! Come to think of it, most of my sounds I''ve recorded are me saying "bang!" and "boom" and "argh."

random

---
Wait, you mean I have to actually... THINK?!
---Wait, you mean I have to actually... THINK?!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement